Is now a good time to buy an appleTV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wagawagawoowoo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. wagawagawoowoo macrumors member

i'm aware of the whole should i get a mini instead question - but i can afford 2 ATVs for the price (for 2 rooms) however i've been caught out before buying a piece of apple kit just prior to a new one coming out (i now check buyers guides for hardware) but there isnt a buyers guide for the ATV.

so does anyone know if there is likely to be a ATV refresh soon? in which case i can wait.
    thanks for the advice

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There is an event coming on Jan 28th (I think) that may lead to a new or slightly updated ATV. However I wouldnt hold your breath as Apple seem totally disinterested in the ATV and have been for a long long time.

Give it a few more weeks before you make the plunge.

3. wagawagawoowoo thread starter macrumors member

ok I guess i can wait a week - i was aware there might be an event - re iSlate or even iPhone but i was interested to see if anyone thought there was a realistic chance that would involve the ATV.

My understanding is the event hasnt been announced yet and it is a special event not a preplanned show - so how likely is it they will update the macbooks to a new processor, the mac pros to be better than the i7 iMac, the iphone to have a OLED screen and dual core proccessor and announce the iSlate as a revolutionary new device and possibly update the SDK and say btw a new ATV?

Has there been a development cycle for the ATV like some of the others on the buyers guide seem to have?

Thanks,

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The development cycle for the ATV seems to be 1. Release 2. Abandon.

Since its release its had one hardware upgrade (bigger hard drive). And about 3 software updates that added a few extra features. Nothing spectacular so while its possible something may happen with the ATV at the special event its more likely absolutely nothing will happen with it as it had a software update recently.