Is now a good time to buy the 2g iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Sep 23, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I still haven't ordered my iPod Touch, but the time is getting closer :D However, before I do I'm just wondering if now is a good time to buy or not. I've been reading a lot on the boards about the 2g and it seems like there are a lot of problems with it. Now, I know that most of what you will read is the problems because people don't just randomly post how happy they are (usually!) However, I'm not really in a position where I have to have it now (that doesn't mean I don't want it now) but if waiting means that the product is going to be improved and have most glitches corrected, I think it may be worth the wait.

Price is not a concern for me, I think that the price is a bargain, I'm just concerned about bugs and problems with the iPod touch.... So, in your honest opinion, is now a good time to buy, or should I wait?

One of my biggest concerns is that I may purchase online from Amazon, so I don't know how well returns will go with them... And, after the return period for Amazon I'm a little concerned about returning to Apple. I don't have a store to go to, so it would be mailed in, but I'm more concerned that people seem to say Apple replaces the unit with a refurbished unit... That is a little concerning simply because I've never bought refurbished and when you buy a new product, it seems like you should receive a new product if it needs to be replaced as well.

Hopefully you guys can provide me with some insight, I know there is no better source to calm my fears and I'm sure I will get very honest opinions.

Thanks so much!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Waiting won't do a thing, seeing as they just refreshed the line. And any "improvements" made are going to be software related, unless there is a widespread physical defect (which I haven't of any), you might as well buy either the 1st gen or 2nd gen. Since money doesn't matter you might as well go for the new one, and if there are any major problems apple will take care of you regardless of where you bought it. :D

3. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome... I was really hoping to hear that :D

This will be my first try with Apple products in a few years. I'm hoping to stick my toe in the water before diving in... If this goes well, I plan to start the switch to Mac :cool:

I'm definitely going to get the 2g (I really want the speaker, even it it is bad, for things like games, showing friends and also to use the Touch as an alarm... I'd also like the better battery life, plus I like getting the newer product) Now I just need to wait a little longer so I will be closer to when I will be at my other house to accept delivery and to make sure it doesn't get there before me, or visa versa. So, I just need to wait a little while (if a local store doesn't get them first) and then make sure I can find a place that will have two in stock for me since I'm getting one for my friend as well.

Thanks again!