Is now a good time to buy the 2TB Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rufftackle, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rufftackle macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying the recent generation of the 2TB time capsule that was released back in June.

Is now a good time to buy, or do you think there will be a product refresh in the near future?

Should I have any hesitation buying a refurbished unit from Apple?

2. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I just got one for Xmas, so YES. :D

I don't know of any updates, but can't imagine what they would be if there were any, other than larger HDs etc.

I didn't pick up a refurbished unit but certainly would not shy away from one from Apple.

3. matt94gt macrumors member

Im wondering the same thing, it seems they are due for a newer version.

The previous ones had issues, seems average lasted less then 2 years. I dont want that.

4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

All the routers I get always less a little more than 2 years so that is not that bad. As for timecapsule. I thought they didn't update them very often. 2009 then 2011. I think your good, all they could do is give you a bigger HD for it but do you need more than 2tb? Would be nice if they had a price drop considering the price of a 2tb hd has dropped greatly in the past 2 years.

5. scarred macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was about to say the exact opposite... If you need something _now_, the time capsule is a great deal. Hard drive prices have sky rocketed over the last months (due to a flood in Thailand). They will begin to come down slowly now.

2 TB HDDs are over 200 bucks right now. This makes the time capsule a great deal atm.

6. aliebel macrumors member

Went to go get one

So, my 2009 Time Capsule died earlier this week. I went to one of the Apple stores in town to pick up a replacement and turns out they were all out of stock. He called the other store in town and also did not have any. He stated they had been out of them for 7 days, (he knew because he had been off for the last 5 days.) When I look on the online store they sit at a 5-7 day shipping wait.

I know they updated them in the summer, so I was ready to pick one up but this makes me wonder if it's going to be updated or something.

Maybe it could just be because the the hard drive backup in asia right now. or merely just a coincidence.

Im wondering if I should wait a little bit and limp off my modem router to find out or just go find one at a best buy somewhere.

Thoughts?

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

8. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Went to the Apple store and they were out-of-stock on the 2TB Time Capsule...

Looks like the are discontinuing the 2TB. Not sure if it is because they want everyone to go to cloud. My guess is that Apple will be slowly fading these out for the cloud...

Had an Expert say that they are problem units and be advised to purchase. They overheat and do not last that long. Better to purchase an Airport and get a stand alone backup hard drive...

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No it's more likely due to the lack of 2TB hard drive stock which was hurt because of the thailand floods.

The Time Capsule is a safe purchase. The next refresh will likely contain a draft version of the forthcoming 802.11ac specification which should find traction by years end.

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

A few days ago New Egg had them in stock. Still do, but they're a little more expensive ($319).

11. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Interesting note: BestBuy.com only shows the 3TB (new), 2TB(refurb only/outlet), and 1TB(refurb/outlet). No stores have any of them (according to the website).

I have considered the 1TB (refurb) as it is only $189.99, but there is only a 30 day warranty.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Update:
    Best Buy's website only shows the 3TB available as new. The 1TB and 2TB are available as refurbished, but only with a 30 day warranty.

Is this because of the hard drive shortage or an impending update?

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I know this is a little off topic, but not completely. My old Linksys router crapped out on me about 1.5 weeks ago and I picked up an Airport Extreme straight from the Apple Store. I am very pleased with it, but am curious if there might be an update for this soon.

If not, do these things retain their resell value like my Macs do?