Is now a good time to buy the mini 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kmac007, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kmac007 macrumors regular

I'm coming from an old blackberry tablet and want to make the switch over to Mac. I'm not sure how often they update the products but I don't want to buy one and have the mini 5 be right around the corner. In your opinion is now a good time to buy the mini 4? If so why or why not.

Thanks guys! :)

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

We can virtually guarantee that the Mini 4 will not be replaced until at least October.

Only one iPad has ever been replaced in less than a year, and now Apple seems to be going with two years, recognising that people commonly keep their iPads for as long as computers.

The Mini 4 is fantastic. I would change it for a Mini Pro, because I do a lot of contracts on it and have to make do with third-party styluses, but at the end of 2017 when I expect the Mini 5 to be released, I don't see myself being tempted.

Apple did not expect the Minis to become the most popular models, but that's what's happened. The size is so much more portable and it has the best screen apart from the new Pro, it has the ability to do split-screen and it has almost as much power as the Air 2.

3. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the detailed reply LiveM. Was just doing some search and noticed that mini 4 prices will drop to $269 after the apple event. Hoping this applies for Canada too.

Looks like a good time to buy. I have my eyes set on a black 32 gig model.

4. 007p macrumors 6502a

It's probably a very good time to buy. Even if it's updated in October, I doubt the mini 5 would get the A10. In terms of specs, I don't think there is too much noticeable difference between the mini 4's A8 and the A9 that the mini 5 would probably get in October.

5. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

First time when iPad mini came out, I thought it's just great size to be mobile and on the go. I updated to mini retina, and then updated to mini 4 last year, absolutely no regrets, I'm very happy with this one. Mini 4 is strong iPad. Graffic is beautiful on it, and ebook reading experience on it is fantastic to me. I now play most of games on mini 4 as well. It's right size to play games, not too small and not too big. Comfortable holding size in bed until you get sleepy.
    Only thing I wish is, if it has Apple Pencil support(don't need to be pro mini!).

6. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for you opinion. I'm big fan of reading too and the tablet I have now is pretty heavy and low resolution so it's good to hear it will be good for e books as well. Is there also a port where I can connect it to my tv via HDMI? Would be great to play games on big screen.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    A fellow 007 agent :) Nice!

Thanks for your input. My only concern is they do a big overhaul of the mini 5 and it gets a big bezel less design which I think would be pretty cool but not sure if it's possible.

Also I heard rumors that it might be waterproof, although a cool feature it's more of a novelty than something practical.

7. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Ipads/phones have an adapter to HDMI, yes.

Not sure of bells and whistles that can be in the 5 but...I have side by sided my mini 4 next to the large IPP and noticed no difference in practical use of go to apps. If you didn't tell me the A9 was in the IPP I would have not known as working times about the same.

Store had my go to apps on display models so it was a fair comparison. When say Notability is one my most used application its head to head a better benchmark to me than the great AES encryption benchmarks some were so happy about. Happy for them its better...not what I do full-time with my iPads though lol.

Not seeing this change much tbh....only drive for optimization seems to be to use IPP screen size. Not seeing much in the way of squeezing out every ounce of power of the A9 instruction set/architecture (if it varies in some way).

Happy mini 4 owner here. Great size. Works great. Used heavy at work for notes, diagrams. Used for personal studies. Good for entertainment as well on say flights since small. Even on the most cramped space flights this can fit on a drink tray with room for the drink too. I dropped down from regular iPad sizes to this and never looked back really.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

For those that live in the US, yes, right now is a great time to buy an iPad mini 4. You can get them at Best Buy for $100 off at the moment.

The iPad mini 2 is dropping to $269. The mini 4 is staying at $399.

9. FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

I never watch online thing on my TV not play games on TV(my TV lately pretty dead, I even don't watch TV much anymore and watch news live on my iPad). But like someone already replied, there is adopter, I believe. Or maybe you can connect to TV wireless by using Apple TV or else? Oh wait, that's for watching online things and video/movie. Not sure about using TV as a display for gaming from iPad. Someone can explain details for him if it's possible??????

Now I'm loving 12.9" iPad Pro(got last year) but still iPad mini 4 is the best to go for me, and you will know what we love so much about iPad mini 4 once in your hand!(yap, still it's literally can be IN your hand!)

10. family_guy macrumors newbie

Don't think you'll see a mini 5 this year. Maybe by this time next year they'll release the mini 5 with the current 9.7" Pro specs.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

When are they going to refresh the look..all apple **** has looked the same for years.

12. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, wish it was the other way around.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

My answer is no, as in it's bad time to buy iPad mini 4. As you can see from Compare iPad Models page, iPad mini 4 has same hardware spec as iPad Air 2, which historically sells at $100 premium. Well, iPad Air 2 now costs the same as mini 4, so I think price cut is either forthcoming or it will be discounted by other merchants shortly.

EDIT: Just noticed earlier post that it is offered for $100 less at Best Buy. That's probably the way to go, although I would frankly get iPad Air 2 as it feels only marginally larger than mini 4 but much better suited for running 2 apps in split view.

14. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, maybe I'll hold off until June when they had the next event and expect a price cut then.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You'll be waiting forever and not buy anything because there's always a better model or price cut around the corner. Just buy it and be happy. I'm still running my iPad Mini First gen and it's given me years of pleasure.

16. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

There's a difference between forever and maximizing my dollars based on current trends. I want to maximize my dollar value and make a smart purchase. I'm content with waiting a bit longer a I don't want to make an impulsive purchase that I will later regret. I definitely won't be waiting forever.

17. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

There will not be a price cut - it will stay the same until at least October. Only when other iPads are announced do the prices drop when required in order to remain relatively appropriate.

The iPad Air 2 is old - the Mini 4 is new and more popular. Its price isn't changing tomorrow.

18. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I just bought a mini 4 to upgrade from he iPad 3, The iPad pro 9.7 was what I wanted but Apple priced it way too high and it's really not worth the price. Anyone who bought an air 2 will really get their money's worth out of that machine as it'll like still be going strong for another 2-3 years!

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why didn't you just get the Air 2?

20. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Thought I'd give the mini a try, if not I'd return it for the air 2.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Unless you really do like the mini size, you get a little more with the Air 2 for the same price, unless you got a deal on your mini.

22. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

What has been everyone's experience with battery life on the mini 4? Ever since I got mine I've been getting around 8 hours per full charge instead of 10 hours, with 1/2 brightness, messages, Safari, YouTube, etc. (I even "calibrated" it on day one by running down the battery until the device shut off, then charged it until 100% before using again). It also seems to be getting pretty warm on the right side when watching YouTube whereas my pervious iPads only got warm while gaming.

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I typically get 11-12 hours of web surfing, email, some YouTube, social media, and other light tasks. Right now, I'm at 59% with 5:12 usage time and 25:09 standby. Main power users over the last 24 hours are Chrome, YouTube, and Facebook. I use auto brightness which typically keeps the screen comfortable, but below 50%. I turn off background app refresh and most push notifications and location services.

I only notice warmth sometimes, if I'm using it while charging, but nothing significant.

24. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I wonder if the mini will get a spec bump this year? Apple will put Touch ID 2 and the A9 in it plus start the storage from 32GB. No design changes. The A9 seems significantly faster then the A8.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I doubt that the Mini will get a real upgrade this year. I feel that the iPad product lines are moving to longer 18-24 month cycles. Now that there are so many and tablet demand has apparently plateaued, it doesn't seem profitable to do major upgrades of every iPad every year, and the Mini had one just 6 months ago.