Is now a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmac007, Aug 25, 2016.

  1. kmac007 macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    ive been wanting to get a MacBook Pro since June. Currently have a ****** laptop from 2008.

    I figured the new release would be announced but it hasn't been yet. I have a few questions in regards to what I could be potentially missing out.

    1. What new features will the new MacBook Pro have or be rumoured to have?

    2. How much of a difference will it be from the current generation?

    3. What will the new processor/ram specs do performance wise vs the old generation?

    4. I haven't been keeping up with the rumours here big would it be to my advantage to wait another couple of weeks/ month in hopes of the new one getting announced?

    If you can help me out give me any recommendations on all or any of my questions it would be much appreciated.
  2. jerryk macrumors 68040

    Nov 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    NO!!!! DON'T BUY

    If you have been waiting since 2008, unless you absolutely must have a new system now, wait a couple of months longer and see what ships. The current rMBPs are 2015 versions so if you bought one today you would get a year old version (with a 2 year old processor).

    The new systems are rumored to have the current Intel processors which should give better battery life and integrated graphics performance. Expect computer performance to be about the same as the current processors.

    Other rumored features include, USB C ports with Thunderbolt 3 support, LCD touch buttons at the top. Check the "Waiting for Skylake" thread for more info.
  3. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    Hey thanks for your response and advice. I haven't been waiting since 2008, that's how old my current pc laptop is.

    It's becoming a burden to multitask and waiting a couple of minutes for it to boot up.

    I'm trying to determine how big of a change there's gonna be between current models because it's reaching a pint where I don't wanna wait

    Sorry if it's a newbie question, but what do you mean by integrated graphics?
  4. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 28, 2014
    Invest in a Samsung Evo SSD right now on the POS laptop and then upgrade to a new macbook when they come out. You'll thank me later. A SSD will make a HUGE difference, just make sure your laptop has a sata connector for the hard drive since in 2008 it was a mixed bag.
  5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816


    Sep 16, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the same boat. Been using a Sony VAIO Z since 2008. It was top of the line at the time, but is starting to show its age (no more software support, and subpar battery life).

    In response to your questions, the most often quoted new features said to be in the rumored 2016 MacBook Pro are an OLED touch strip above the keyboard, integration of TouchID for powering on/logging in, stronger metal injection molded hinges similar to the one found on the Retina MacBook, USB-C ports, and slimmer form factor.

    The difference should also be huge. The current MacBook Pro has had the same design since 2012, with only internal improvements. As the first unibody MacBook Pro was introduced in 2008, we're due for an upgrade. As the current MacBook Pros top out at 16GB for both 13 and 15 inch, it's possible we'll be getting a 32GB option, at least for the 15". Apple will at least opt for Skylake if the MBP is to be released this year, as Kabylake options suitable for the MBP may not be available until early 2017. But apart from support for newer versions of ThunderBolt and other interfaces, performance increases would be incremental at this point.

    What I'm doing, and what I would recommend, is waiting until the announcement of the new MacBook Pro to see if it's worth getting the newer model, or getting a cheaper refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro. I hope my next laptop will last me another eight years, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new MBP is a huge improvement over the current model.
  6. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    Hey thanks for your advice!

    I'm all for waiting but apart of me wants to get one now because there aren't too many tangible features that I can make use of.

    I just don't know how much longer I should wait. I mean there's been no announcement can it be another month or 2? I think it's doable but anywhere from 3-6 I think I'd rather purchase now.

    Touch ID and a LED strip is nice but not necessary, USB C ports I view as a trend now and don't see it as very practical. Slimmer form factor is cool but not necessary.

    Will there be any noticeable improvements in the processor, ram, boot up speed, multitasking, screen sharpness/colors from the current generation to the new one?
  7. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    Processor upgrades have been incremental for the past few years. You may see a 5-10% difference here.

    You'll see the same for RAM speed, although the upcoming model MAY be configureable with 32GB of RAM(if you need it).

    We're at the point of diminishing returns with SSD speed. My early 2015 13" scores 1400MB/s R/W in most benchmarks. There are faster SSDs out there but they're not really going to noticeably reduce boot up times.

    Multitasking? I mean, a newer processor and more RAM will help, but as stated above all of the improvements will be incremental.

    I haven't heard any rumors about higher resolution screens. Maybe Apple will offer 4K this year? I imagine the color gamut may be slightly improved.

    I'll say that now isn't a great time to buy, but if you need a new Mac and the current models fit your needs, it isn't a BAD time either. You'll probably be able to find a good deal on a new unit, and refurbs are also an option if your interested.
  8. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

    May 18, 2013
    Why not just wait another month? You've been waiting since 2008 anyway.....
  9. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    My computer is from 2008. If I had that sort of patience I would probably be a monk in a monastery by now
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    Thanks very good advice. Does apple have any back to school sales/ specials? Also when do you think the new mac book pro will be announced?
  10. lchlch macrumors 6502a

    Mar 12, 2015
    According to the rumors, there will be a MacBook Pro sometime in September. The rumors indicate that it'll be the biggest change to the MacBook Pro line.

    If it were me, I'll wait a little while more before getting a MacBook Pro. If nothing excites me at the announcement I'll probably get the current one.
  11. wegster macrumors 6502

    Nov 1, 2006
    myscrnnm pretty much wrote what I was going to.

    The performance improvement should be decent in the new models when they arrive vs current, but still only an incremental improvement - you're not going to see double CPU performance from Skylake, more of an incremental improvement vs the current models. Unless you need to run a pair of 4K external LCDs (few of us do..) or have some unusual external connection requirements needing TB3, neither of which I suspect is the case running on a 2008 system, I just don't think you 'need' the relatively low performance difference from current vs next model.

    Having said that - once the new models are announced current gen or lightly used models will drop further in price, and the current gen SSD performance is pretty excellent at > 1TB/second read/writes...which is a huge jump vs even adding a to-end SATA SSD to your current system.

    I may actually go that route myself with my 2011MBP. The battery life (newish 3rd party) is killing me for work/meetings, but I may upgrade my 500GB OWC SSD to a Samsung 1TB and wait for 'the model after next' depending on what they announce. You can find decent used deals on current or 1-2year old MBPs and they'll drop further as the new model comes out - doesn't make them outdated, just not latest and greatest, for many uses.

    Here's a rough comparison guessing at your model vs a currently sold 15" MBP.

    Definitely a nice jump, assuming you're on a C2D system...but the jump to Skylake and next MBPs released won't see that level of difference vs the current MBP models by a long shot..

    Attached Files:

  12. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    They typically have a back to school sale where they give away iTunes gift cards or beats headphones with a new mac purchase. If you're looking for a deal, you can do better through a 3rd party reseller like Best Buy or B&H Photo.

    The new ones will supposedly be available in the next couple months. Of course, we've been hearing that for nearly a year now. I'm perfectly happy with my early 2015 13". It's a great computer and it's done everything I've needed it to do.
  13. Closingracer macrumors 68040

    Jul 13, 2010

    LOL? Broad well isn't a 2 year old processor if you're talking about the 13 inch. The Haswell ones are older in the 15 inch. That being said Skylake or Kaby lake while is newer and offers newer tech the return is minimal at best in real life usage... Better graphics performance yes but nothing to cry over...

    As far as the other rumors goes I don't personally want USB C only ( don't want adapters which is why i don't use my HP spectre) and meh LCD screen.

    If you really need a laptop the 13 inch Macbook pro is still a great machine specially if you can find it on sale.
  14. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    At this point, I'd wait. Why pay top dollar for such old technology. You're patience will be rewarded :)
  15. Spudlicious macrumors 6502


    Nov 21, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    Diminishing returns just about sums up the computer industry. If my boot time shrinks from 10.2 seconds to 9.7 would that be a good return on investment in new hardware? Similarly, unless I have a yen to slide computers under doors - I don't - where is the benefit in shaving 1.8mm of a computer's thickness? As I see it, all the mountains have been climbed now, and at least for my purposes we've not truly advanced from the core duo machines of a decade ago. Sure enough the latest games need up-to-date hardware, but Apple don't swim in that pool, and exactly how they're going to lure new (as opposed to replacement) buyers for their next generation of laptops is not readily apparent to me. But I recognise they're a lot smarter than me, and I certainly hope that in the coming years they don't abandon the personal computer market as IBM did and become just a phone company. iPhones won't be the #1 toy forever, will they?
  16. Fishrrman macrumors G5


    Feb 20, 2009
    I'm going to echo what others have posted above.

    "Buy now" ONLY if you have NO OTHER CHOICE.

    New MBPro's are "just around the corner" and all signs point to a very signifiicant "leap up" in terms of technology. It will prove worth waiting for, if you can just hold out a little longer.

    You should also review at what's available NOW, just for reference. Try to come to a decision as to which MBPro (from the current lineup) you would buy today if you had to.
    Put that choice "on ice", while you wait for the new product announcement.

    Then, when new models are announced, you can:
    1. Buy one of the closeout models (at reduced pricing)
    2. Buy the latest and greatest.
  17. photoj2754 macrumors 6502


    Oct 10, 2013
    Was alerted to this deal and decided since it is nearly the same laptop I used at work (photojournalist, retired) without a single problem and didn't want to pay premium prices for extras I wouldn't use, I bought it. Anxiously waiting for my new toy.
  18. forbreak macrumors newbie


    Sep 7, 2015
    Don't buy...I am waiting for the new release as well.
    Thanks for all the advises provided under this topic.
  19. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    Thanks for you advice, I'm gonna try and hold off for at least another month and possibly buy when there's the back to school special or hopefully something gets announced for September, October.

    Anyone know when the last MacBook Pro was announced? Because I don't think I can wait until Novemver/December
  20. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    The 13" model was released in March 2015 and the 15" model was released in May 2015. Apple is WAAAAAAY overdue for an update.
  21. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    I hope it's not in March but I have a feeling they are going to release in November/December to capitalize on the Christmas rush.

    Hoping it doesn't take that long or I might buy a current year model when they run a back to school discount.
  22. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2016
    Great advice! Thank you. Going to try to hold out for a bit longer and get the new one depending on the spec bumps or an old one at a discounted rate.
  23. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

    Andres Cantu

    May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    If you find a several-hundred-dollar sale on the MacBook you want today, then go for it. But it has to be a really good sale, otherwise, I would just wait a couple of days for the announcement.
  24. BrettApple macrumors 65816


    Apr 3, 2010
    Heart of the midwest
    As mentioned if you have the knowledge to, put an SSD in your current laptop.

    I just took in a 2007 Dell Vostro 1500 that my brother was getting rid of because it was so slow despite being in perfect condition and replaced it's old 120 GB 5400 RPM spinner with a new 120 GB SSD for $45. It has a 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, and an Nvidia 8400GS under the hood. Nothing impressive even 9 years ago but it runs Windows 10, Chrome, Office 2016, and the like just fine. Easily enough to hold someone over for basic tasks till something else comes along. And cheap if you can use external storage and don't mind a small SSD. Even 240 GB ones are cheap these days.
  25. colinsky macrumors member


    Apr 3, 2009
    I bought a refurb 2015 13" retina MBP with the Broadwell CPU a month ago despite everybody's warnings that a newer better model is almost here. I'm very happy with it as a replacement for my doddering 2010 model.
    This article says Sky Lake CPUs can't handle Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, and that the Kaby Lake chips that can handle them won't be available until the end of the year.

Share This Page