Is now a good time to convert?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, May 13, 2010.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Hey all.
    I've been a long time Mac fan but I have never fully made the commitment to Apple and still use Windows pc's for majority of my work.

I keep switching between using my PC with Windows and as a Hackintosh - it currently has Windows on as I've recently moved house and the wireless router is downstairs as there's no phone socket in the office and the wireless in the PC doesn't work with OSX.

However, as much as I keep switching back to Windows, I keep wanting to switch back to Mac's, so looking for some advice. My main concern is spending loads of money on Mac equipment and software, to then want to switch back to Windows.

So, has anyone else had this much trouble switching? What did you end up sticking with?

Also, should I switch in stages? - I mean, currently, in our office (my fiance and I are starting a web development company), we have 2 x Windows 7 PC's, one with a Core 2 Quad CPU and a 23" screen and one with a Core 2 Duo Processor and a 24" screen and a fairly old Windows XP Celeron laptop. So my aim would be to replace both PC's with desktops (iMacs or even Mac Mini's) and one, maybe 2 laptops.

The trouble is, I'm currently at university and graduate in July so would really like to take advantage of my HE discount so could anyone advise when the best time to upgrade would be?

Sorry for rambling on.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well, it kind of depends what you want to buy. The Macbook Pros were just updated, so now's a good time to get one of those. The Mini and the iMac are both approaching the end of the average revision lifecycle, so it's not an optimal time to buy one of those.

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

As I said, a couple of iMacs (I know I can only get one with HE discount so may end up with an iMac and a Mini) and maybe a laptop or 2.

4. gboswellsac macrumors member

I'm probably not a good one to answer this question from the desktop point of view but you do not have to give up access to Windows with Mac. I teach operating systems and networking at a community college. I have to have access to Win 7, Vista, XP, 2000, 2008 server, 2003 server, Linux, BSD, and I can run all in Fusion and Virtual Box. The XP and Win 7 in Parallels is sweet, you have access to all of OSX (apps) in the Parallels Windows coherence virtual. Now the video performance is slightly less in the virtuals but usable for me. When it comes to using the MAC in web work I can test with any browser in any OS, but then I use html. I know a limited response but I got tired of carrying two high end laptops with me every day, and I'm still learning the in/outs of OS X. My students are always showing me an OS X feature to enhance my OS X experience. Guess it is time to read the Manual, will be here Friday. Next the internals that are Unix/Linux different and OS X unique is in order.

The HE discount on hardware is limited, but you need the high end software and Now (HE discount) would be a good time. Make the commitiment and you'll never go back. I've only been a Mac user for a 1.5 years and have had two used macbooks and now a used white unibody (8GB, 500GB). I'm definitely on the bottom of the Mac tree but I'll never go back to a Windows box, been using M$ since 81 on personal equipment. Fell in love with Unix in grad school and Linux in 92, and OS X in 2008. Not only is the Mac family better, the community is the best in the industry. I was getting ready to retire but now the Mac OS X has made work fun again.

One negative is the pushing of Windows centric portals in education but so far been able to work with them through the virtual environment when OS X failed to play the Microsoft game.

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks. Yeah, one of the things I'm looking at is saving on the software which is what's going to be the potential problem because as I say, I don't want to spend loads of money on software (even at HE prices) and then switch back to Windows.

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac thread but I've been doing a fair bit of research on the net and although I REALLY want a Mac, I could get the following hardware for <£750: Core i7 930 2.8GHz, Gigabyte X58 Motherboard with USB3, 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram, 2 x Samsung F3 1TB Hard Drives, Pioneer DVDRW and a top quality case (I already have power supply, a couple of 500GB hard drives, etc).

Although I would still be using my current screen (and I think part of the 'Mac' experience would be a good screen), my business head is telling me to go down the custom build route whereas my heart is saying go for the Mac.

Any thoughts would be incredibly useful :)

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Anytime is a good time to convert from Windows! I made the switches about 3 years back and am sooooo happy! I can run Windows for a few needed programs for work in VMware.

8. EasyJW macrumors member

dude, if you're computer literate enough to install hackingtosh, you're computer literate enough to learn to deal with the switch[​IMG] i successfully converted my mother to mac, and she used to ask me how to change font in word. also, you can easily put windows on bootcamp and run it from there, but after maybe a month, windows will get used less and less, all i use windows for now is msn webcam, and i just bought it up in parallels

9. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

I switched in December 2009 and am now using a MBP 13". I am absolutely loving it. I use VM Fusion to run any software that is Windows only. It works fine most of the time. It can be a little cranky but overall it does what it says on the box. I use CS4 on the Mac, it runs great. It's fast to load and any actions are quick. I cannot see me ever going back to windows, well not unless there was a lot of money involved!

I agree with a previous post, if you can hackintosh, you can convert. Macs are easy to use. Little things make a big difference. I use keyboard shortcuts now because they are consistent between applications. It is a very seamless and easy to use OS.
    :)

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree. "Now" is always a good time to convert, but it probably does not mean that you will leave the "old [Windows] world" completely behind you.

For my part, I switched in April/May 2008 after a lot of thought; things that impressed me included the fact that Apple honour their warranties (a few iPods had died within warranty and had been replaced without seeking refuge in contractual small-print), that Apple computers were virus free, (Windows were exceedingly sloppy on that point at that time), the fact that I loved (and love) the iPod, and the sheer style and build quality of Apple. I have Office for Mac on my MBP as the world I work in uses Word, and it is necessary for everything I do. I love my MBP and must say it is easily the best computer I have ever had (and I had an Olivetti, Toshiba Satellite and Sony Vaio prior to that, the latter two, especially were also fine machines).

However, like the OP, that does not mean a Windows free existence; I still use both. My current work environment is exclusively Windows, as was my former one. My MBP has Firefox as well as OS, given that there are applications (which I need) that I cannot access with OS.

Cheers

11. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

- MBP's were just updated so its definitely a good time to grab one of those.
    - iMacs are about to be updated again so hold off a bit on those.
    - The switch is easy as cake, especially if you are fluent in Windows and are able to install hackintosh.
    - You don't have to give up Windows, just create a bootcamp partition. I use it all the time. Works great in bootcamp.
    - The one thing you have to come to terms with when switching to the mac world these days is that SURE you could get a cheaper PC with equal or better specs, but with a mac its not all about numbers. These machines are built SOLID and everything on the inside and outside will work flawlessly for a loonnnggg time, AND you get to run OSX in its true form, a reward all in itself. The current line-up offers more power than most people need anyways.
    - You have 14 days to return whatever you buy, if you aren't completely in love by then (I promise you will be) then you can just return the product.

Good luck.