Is now a good time to get a new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pngwyn, Dec 7, 2010.

  1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #1
    I was thinking about picking up a 17" 2.8ghz i7 to replace my 15" from 2008. I know that Apple likes to update their lineup pretty often, so I'm just curious if there are big updates ahead or if it's safe to buy?
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    An update of the MBP line is expected in Q1/2011 with a new microarchitecture called Sandy Bridge. According to dozens of threads on MacRumors about that very same issue, it is a significant update, but there is also this mantra: Buy NOW, if you need NOW, wait, if you can wait.
    The Buyer's Guide says Don't Buy - Updates soon.
     
  3. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #3
    This, basically if your current computer doesn't do what you need then it is a good time to buy, if your computer works fine then it's never a good time to update.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    I think you may be the only one who thinks that. Most people around here complain about apple's slow update schedule.

    Anyways, the buyers guide is stating do not buy, but until Sandy Bridge is released by intel, apple isn't going to update its MBP line.

    Intel won't be releasing their new chip set until January (or maybe February) and so apple which likes to wait a month or three before embracing a new chip probably won't update its line until the April-June time frame.

    Does that make now a good time to buy a MBP, who knows. I bought a 13" MBP because my need was immediate and I figured the deals I saw at Microcenter (200 off the MBP) were to good to pass up. If you can wait, then wait, if you need one now, buy one now.
     
  5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #5
    I bought a 15" MBP from Amazon less than 2 weeks ago and have no regrets - very good price of $1675 and no tax. It is plenty fast for my needs. Potential new features like Light Peak don't do me much good unless I upgrade all my externals but FW800 works just fine. For me it is not about getting a new toy, it is about my toy being able to do my work without lag and at the moment all it fine. I will simply update the ram to 8GB for about $100 and then I am good to go.

    I sold a iMac and 13" MBP to move to the 15" + external. I figured that the next refresh will be around Feb - April - well after Sandy Bridge is out so I didn't see waiting for 2 to 4 months. The last refresh had a 10 month lag waiting for arrandale. I expect the same with Sandy Bridge
     
  6. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #6
    My problem isn't that Apple doesn't update often enough. What gets me is that they maintain the same specs and pricepoint up until the end of cycle.

    In the Windows world then a new system starts out with a standard price but as the industry continues to improve hardware then the specs increase and the price lowers. So when a new chip comes out your dilemma is a reasonable choice between a $999 for an i5 or $599 for the older Core2Duo.

    The Apple world works differently because a Core2Duo Macbook Pro will cost $1199 the day it is released and still cost $1199 a year later the day before the new systems come out. And Apple does nothing to inform it's users of when they'll be updating so unless you're really in tune with the industry and follow all the Apple Gossip News then it's very easy to buy at the wrong time.


    So I'd guess it's not an ideal time to buy. Sandy Bridge should be out soon and Apple should be doing their yearly thing in Feb. BUT... they also may hold off all hardware until 10.7 gets released. Apple is so unpredictable that you never know.
     
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    True, but if prior history is to be a gauge. They've sat on the sidelines for a few months when ever intel updated its chipset. If they follow that approach again, then we'll not see a sandy bridge laptop until Q2 of 2011.
     
  8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #8
    1. give yourself a slap in the face for not using MRoogle ;)
    2. buy it now. what you are doing right now is waiting anxiously for hte newer MBP to come out, but the problem with that is there could be something funny with that model and apple mistakenly screws something up. buy now where you can read the great reviews of engadget and anandtech, etc to find out the good/bad/ overall of the current MBP

    my advice :
    BUY IT NOW! thats what im doing o planning to do :)
     
  9. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #9
    It's not the best time IMO. A major update is coming. It will be another 3-6 months - if you can wait that long, do it.
     
  10. croooow macrumors 65816

    croooow

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    #10
  11. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #11
    So I guess I can wait.. but does Apple release new Macbook Pro updates every Q1-Q2? If that's the case, then by the time the next update is released, wouldn't I be waiting for yet ANOTHER release after that just a year later?

    Also, didn't Apple JUST release the i5/i7 series? I haven't really been following the news, but it doesn't seem like it's been out for long at all.

    I really want to get a computer that I won't need or WANT to replace for at least a couple of years (ideally longer..). My current 2.4Ghz 15" is okay, but lags behind when I do video or 3D rendering and lacks necessary screen space.

    Also, another concern is price.. I have found a 17" 2.8Ghz i7 for 2450 which is pretty much top of the line (besides the HD). When macbooks are newly released, they generally don't sell under retail for at least a couple of months eh?

    Also, when the updates are released, is it possible there will be even more delay to get the 2.8GhZ 17" as they delayed the i7 ones?
     
  12. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #12
    1

    No, sometimes they use Q3 or Q4, sometimes they release new models twice a year.

    Core i5/7 mobile CPUs have been out since Q1/2010.

    Any machine will be outdated when it is released. If you use the current models, they will suffice your needs. The next models will be a wee bit faster though.

    When was the i7 17" MBP delayed?
     
  13. Pngwyn, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

    Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #13
    The 2.8Ghz upgrade wasn't available for the 17" until October of this year, or so I thought? I need high processing speed for rendering 3D and film.

    You mentioned they sometimes update twice a year, so I'm guessing this next "Sandy Bridge" update is significant enough to wait versus other updates? It's really a shame Apple doesn't keep their customers more informed on what's coming.

    It's just weird because on the Mac Buyer's guide it says: "....a more substantial update to the full MacBook Pro lineup is not imminent." But also advises not to buy, and that updates are upcoming.

    So I guess my last question is.. if I were to buy a top of the line MBP now, how much would I expect to lose in resale if I wanted to keep up with the updated version to be released next year?

    It's easy to say I can wait 3 months, but when the range is expected 3-12 months for updates, that's quite a bigger scope...

    Also, is anyone really for sure that the Sandy Bridge update will be a beneficial change over the i7?
     
  14. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #14
    That happens every now and then, Apple usually silently offers updates with faster without any brimborioum around it.


    300 to 600 $.
     
  15. peoplevoice macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    #15
    Top of the line

    In my opinion you don't have to wait if you're planning to buy to top of the line of macbook pro. Maybe you have to think in the options, RAM, SSD, etc. I currently have a macbook pro 17 (2009, 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) and I do some video edition and works really fine. I use Virtual Box to run Windows. I'd love to have i7, sandy bridge, lightpeak, etc but that will be someday when these things are mature. I bought a laptop because I was planning to travel a lot but I really prefer an iMac, so this can be another option.
     
  16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #16
    Apple MBP refresh cycles have historically been about every 7 or 8 months. The last refresh cycle took 10 months with Apple being the last computer manufacturer to adopt the new iX CPU's. Today much of the PC world is available with very fast USB 3.0 but apple will likely pass this in favor of light peak and external storage devices are easily available now with USB 3.0. The i7 2.8 CPU option offered recently is a sing that new updates are likely not coming soon as this was a silent update and a bit of a ripoff because according to Intel the price difference vs the i7 2.66 is $14 in batches of 1,000 ($346 vs $332) and the max speed difference of 4%. Not bad for $14 but Apple adds $200 to the buy price.

    Apple makes great products for a premium price and I wouldn't be surprised to see them come to the party last for Sandy Bridge as well - end of Q1 or early Q2. Early Q2 would be a one year refresh and likely not have Light Peak.

    Bottum line is if you need now get it but try to find a good price - and that means don't buy from Apple. Amazon is good and B&H Photo (unless you live in NY and have to pay tax). B&H has many BTO options in stock. Of course it best to buy early in the cycle to get the best value but if you buy now and get a good price there is also the possibility that you can sell your old Mac for more now than later to make up at least some of the price difference
     

Share This Page