Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
I know they just updated them in March but I'm wondering if they're going to get the quad core or core i7 processes anytime this year?

Also, starting June I believe is the going back to school promotion. Basically you get an ipod or touch for free after rebate, right? Can you still get the $100 student discount off?

thanks

njmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
If I buy now, can I get the Snow Leopard upgrade for free?

I read somewhere that if you buy a mac within 30 days of the announcement for the new OS, you can upgrade for free. Is that correct?

Assuming it will be announced June 6, that means if i buy now I can has upgrade for free?

PurdueBio

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
you should search the forums, both of these questions have been answered, many, many, many, many times over.

but for the heck of it...iMacs are not expected to have quad core processors until next year

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If I buy now, can I get the Snow Leopard upgrade for free?

I read somewhere that if you buy a mac within 30 days of the announcement for the new OS, you can upgrade for free. Is that correct?

Assuming it will be announced June 6, that means if i buy now I can has upgrade for free?

There's no guarantee that Snow Leopard will be announced on June I think you meant 8. So I'd wait, if getting Snow Leopard for free is very important to you.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
if you want to play games it's as simple as CrossOver, and if you want to BootCamp/VMware.

trust me if i can play games on my Mac mini with a 1.66GHz Core Duo, i'm sure you'll be fine with a 2.93 Intel Core 2 Duo. that's roughly triple the processing power. and the GMA 950 definitely sucks haha.

i don't think there is a bad time to buy an iMac. the new model they have out (especially the 24") is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. my girlfriend's mom has one. and man that thing is breath taking.

pair it up with an Apple Wireless Keyboard (or DiNovo Edge), and a Logitech MX Revolution
Logitech_mac_keyboard-thumb-450x300.jpg

how can you seriously not want that

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I know they just updated them in March but I'm wondering if they're going to get the quad core or core i7 processes anytime this year?
I don't think they will get quad-core until maybe 2011 and Nehalem until 2010.

blackhawk08

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009

Also, starting June I believe is the going back to school promotion. Basically you get an ipod or touch for free after rebate, right? Can you still get the $100 student discount off?

thanks

I am using my 5 YO pc and will continue to do so until next year or until this computer dies. The reason being is because I believe apple will switch the LCD screen on the iMac to LED (yeah i know, theres not that big a difference but still, they switched the cinema displays and the notebook displays to LED, all that remains is the iMac) And also snow leopard and a quad core would be nice as well

mstam

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I am using my 5 YO pc and will continue to do so until next year or until this computer dies. The reason being is because I believe apple will switch the LCD screen on the iMac to LED (yeah i know, theres not that big a difference but still, they switched the cinema displays and the notebook displays to LED, all that remains is the iMac) And also snow leopard and a quad core would be nice as well
I'm also gonna wait for my next iMac purchase until they accommodate a 4GHz Quad core CPU, 30" OLED screen, 12 speed BD writer and swappable 1TB SSD for under $2000.

PurdueBio

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
I'm also gonna wait for my next iMac purchase until they accommodate a 4GHz Quad core CPU, 30" OLED screen, 12 speed BD writer and swappable 1TB SSD for under $2000.

Well I hope you like the machine you use now...a lot...because you will not be upgrading for at least...never

mstam

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Well I hope you like the machine you use now...a lot...because you will not be upgrading for at least...never
Just kidding of course. Maybe Apple IMO introduces a LED display in the future but doesn't make sense to wait for it because it won't make any noticeable difference except for the life expectancy of the monitor.

Another big improvement could be the use of RGB LEDs for each LCD pixel but that's very costly so expect Apple to switch directly from LED backlit LCDs to OLEDs.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I would definitely purchase the iMac right now. The only thing they lack in my opinion are LED displays...but the current displays are very good as they are.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I love the glossy screen. Makes me realize how good I look every time I use my computer.

Right! iMac's are beautiful machines, very fine indeed. I have also never had any of the problems that IWantItThatWay - Seems he or she like to troll.

As for the questions asked by the OP.

1) If I had to guess, I would say that the next iMac update will bring Quad-Core processing.

2) It's likely that Snow Leopard won't be out until Aug - Oct time frame or at least that's my best educated opinion.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
If you want a new iMac, get one. No sense in waiting around for something better, because there will always be something better just around the corner.

I just bought a 24" iMac 2.93 and couldn't be happier. The thing is fast as hell, and I think it is pretty future-proof.

Just one word of advice, if you can afford it, at least get the nVidia 120. Having a dedicated GPU will make all the difference in the world. Especially when planning for the future. Not only will games and video editing be more pleasent, OS X Snow Leopard will take advantage of the idle GPU to help speed up the system overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.