is now a good time to purchase the ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by randomrazr, Sep 24, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i already have a macbook pro and an iphone 4 but considered the ipad 2.

is now a good time to purchase one? i got this coupon thing from apple that knocks 125 dollars off it.

the other thing i was considering is the apple time capsule instead.

2. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Get the iPad. I got one recently and love it.

It's never a great time to buy anything these days. The new replacement model is always on its way.

Just get it now and enjoy it. if another comes out soon you can just sell it and upgrade if you really have to have the latest.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

It sounds like you have money to burn and don't know what to do with it. If you don't have a need for the iPad 2, then it probably isn't a good time to buy. Have you tried it out? Is it something you could see yourself using?

As for the timing, it is fine. Most rumors point to a spring release of the iPad 3, and you know there will be lines for that, so don't expect to get anything in your hands until early summer. At any rate, you can easily sell it between now and then for a good price if needed.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

If you're not currently backing up your data on your macbook, get the time capsule. (At least I would.)

As far as the iPad 2 is concerned, you should consider whether it fills a "niche" between your laptop and your phone. I've found, for example, that I cannot possibly use my iPad as an adequate substitute for my laptop (or my desktop.) On the other hand, my highly capable smartphone is now reduced to (a) making phone calls and (b) providing vocal GPS directions when I drive. Otherwise, it sits unused.

But that's me. Others, I think, have a completely different experience. Their laptops are overkill for their work/entertainment requirements and if it were not for the need to sync their iPads, they wouldn't need a laptop. And some find that compared to their iPhones the iPad is too heavy, too big, and can't be put in a pocket.

In short, the iPad is a niche player. How wide that niche is and how much overlap exists with other gadgets depends on how you use each.

5. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

i do have a 500gb western digital mypassport hard drive but its nearing full due to backups lol

im a university student, im trying to figure out how it can come in handy

6. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I just recently purchased the iPad 2 and don't regret it so I would say go for it. If the 3 or whatever they call it comes out then if I really want it I will sell this one and use the precedes to get the other one but I think this one is plenty fast.

7. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

do u find it useful even if u have a iphone 4 and a macbook pro?

8. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I no longer have an iPhone but when I did I also had an iPad and yes I did find it useful it was always much more comfortable due to the large screen. I now have an Android phone so I don't really lack anything from the iPhone and continue to use my iPad just as much. I have an iMac at home and a laptop for business and all devices serve their purpose however the one that needs to find it useful is you. I use my iPad to write notes in meetings and school as well as when i do some reading in my Kindle app or a PDF in goodreader I also use my iPad when I just want to be in the sofa watching tv and browsing the net. My iMac is used for more serious work and things where a real keyboard and even larger screen is required and my laptop is mostly just used at work. My iPad even has been used lately for the other things described by using Citrix to work and therefore accomplishing work tasks from my iPad or iMac things from my iPad by remoting into it. I no longer need to wait for my iMac or laptop to boot up to do a quick search or a quick task, much faster through my iPad.

9. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I just purchased an ipad 2 last night and honestly I could not be happier. For the things I use my PC for (browsing the web, online purchases, email etc.) the ipad replaces them all. I do wish it had a retina display like the iphone 4 but that is my only gripe. Its also allowed me to delete some apps from my iphone since I like the enhanced versions on the ipad more.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For what it's designed for the iPad 2 is just fine. Mine has been quite trouble free. There will be a fairly long wait for the 3, since display production is a bit of a problem at the present time.

11. edfore macrumors newbie

edfore

I want an iPad so bad i can taste it, but i'm going to wait until the 3rd generation hits the market. From several things i've read, it seems like the first was put out there to get a tablet in the market, the iPad 2 was a "catch up to the competition" model, and the third iPad is where they are going to make the most dramatic changes. I own a small business and i have to make sure I get the biggest bang for the buck! I always buy a bigger computer than what i need for that reason.

12. jomazz macrumors newbie

125.00 apple thing

how do I get that 125.00 Apple discount? I would love to get an Ipad 2

13. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, of course. But I don't think the iPad 2 was a 'catch up to the competition' model. The competition hadn't yet caught up to the iPad 1 and in only some ways has the competition matched the iPad 2.

Nor do I think the iPad 3 is likely to be a dramatically different device. Perhaps an improved display coupled with a stronger battery to yield approximately the same battery life is my guess. Maybe an ounce or two lighter but the display might cancel that. Perhaps a bigger ssd but that will depend on the price of that component. And if so, it's likely to be a "premium" version with another $100 price bump.

Pressure sensitive display for better writing/sketching? Don't think so. Better USB support? No way. A Thunderbird port? I doubt it very much. Major advances in OS support, e.g. more comprehensive multitasking? Again, I doubt it unless the iPad 3 moves to a different processor and (as far as I know) that's not contemplated.

One should never be too skeptical of Apple's imagination and capabilities. But I don't see revolutionary change coming in a device with the huge installed base of the iPad. Apple now faces a problem of avoiding "orphaning" that base so shortly after purchase.

14. ahbdesign macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and a Macbook. I got my iPad 2 in april and I love it! So much so, that I want to get rid of my laptop and possibly get an iMac. I am a university student as well (like you), and I only use my laptop for doing my assignments (which involves a lot of typing). Once I'm done with uni, I'm not sure if i'll be using my laptop at all.

Finding a need/use for an iPad is subjective. I didn't need mine when I bought it, I just wanted one! So buy one if you want it, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret it. Although, a time capsule is also a good option but aren't there already so many external hard drives out there (cheaper ones too!)?