Is now the right time for a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanshira, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. kanshira macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #1
    hi, so i've decided to buy a macbook pro 17inch. Is it alright to buy one at this time? or is their gonna be new models going to be released shortly, where their is gonna be hardware upgrades etc?

    Just a thought, since leopard is released and was thinking apple might release new models soon and buying a mbp now and finding out a new model is released a month or two later would suck.

    soo.. is it alright for a new macbook pro around this time?

    thanks in advance
     
  2. emac82 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Location:
    NB, Canada
    #2
    If you need one now, buy it now, if you can wait, then wait.

    There are a few threads on topics like this already. If you do a quick search you'll fine some answers to your questions there.
     
  3. schreck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    New England
    #3
    Many people are saying new MBPs are to be released at MacWorld with January 15th being the date. Whether this is true or false..I certainly cannot say for sure. I definitely wouldn't be surprised though...

    With that in mind..the MBP right now is a beastly machine, and I don't think you'd be disappointed at all. But like the person said above me, wait if you can and want to. Though nothing is confirmed, I'm playing the waiting game with the new MacBook Pros-I can definitely wait..so I will.

    Regards,
    Alex
     
  4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

    Csmitte

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    #4
    Buy it and stop self torture....! If you wait then you won't be ale to make angry posts here when the NEW MBP comes out
     
  5. brewno macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #5
    Buy it now, specially with Leopard + iLife 08. At the moment, you can't get better than that.
     
  6. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #6
    Wait until it receives the LED backlit display.
     
  7. airfang macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #7
    buy now u won't regret, buy it later u won't regret either
     
  8. Angelus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #8
    Don't Wait

    Buy one now. I've had my 17" macbook pro for the last 2 weeks and its an nimal of a machine. Got it with the 7200rpm hard drive to boot and the hi-def screen. Leopard up to date disc is on the way and I've got a 4GB RAM kit being dispatched today from OWC.
     
  9. schreck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    New England
    #9
    hell yeah!
     
  10. sal macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2007
    #10
    I don't understand this. You'll still have a great machine regardless.

    now if you know that you won't be able to handle apple releasing a better machine than the one you buy today, then it's probably best that you wait. And since you'll be in constant fear that apple might release something better, you'll never buy anything.

    an earlier poster said it best. Buy it now, if you need it. Buy it later if you don't.
     
  11. kanshira thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #11
    just that it feels like i'd get ripped off if i purchased one now, and like 2 weeks later something better comes out costing around the same... don't mind if its like 6-yr later and a better model comes out.

    hmmm... i might just buy one next week..haha... can't wait.

    btw, where is OWC because i'm gonna get ram upgraded aswell, but not from apple beacuase it costs extra 1k AUD.. -.-
     
  12. tersono macrumors 68000

    tersono

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    I bought mine a couple months back. Superb machine. The thing is, whatever you buy is gonna be superceded in a few months anyhow, so quit worrying about it and buy it when you need it :D

    Seriously, you won't be sorry - the 17" MBP is a seriously fantastic machine - for me, at least, it's just about my perfect computer....
     
  13. Stepfo0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
  14. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #14
    I wouldn't buy it at this time. I believe that the 17" will get LED backlit displays in November. I have no proof of this, but it's a possibility, as is a minor speed bump and HD upgrade. Wait until Thanksgiving if you can. If you can't and need the machine soon, then just buy it soon.
     
  15. unixham macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    #15
    Buy now. If you are going for the 17" any bumps will be small in percieved performance at that high end, a mini, maybe wait.

    Too many months will pass waiting for "the right moment" and the torture involved is about $200 in overall value even if you totally "screw up" and buy the day before the upgrade cutoff. If you go the route of perfection, then you should probably torture youself a bit more waiting 2-3 months to see if any glaring bugs came out.

    Just buy it.
     
  16. kster macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    #16
    another vote for macworld 2008 / redesign. thats what im holding out for :D
     
  17. dreamsandart macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    #18
    I got mine a few weeks back and couldn't be happier - 17" HD, 160/7200, 4GB Ram.

    An upgrade - when it comes - may be a bit faster, and the have the LCD lighting, but this is a real jump from my G4 1.5ghz and although the LCD 15" looked a bit brighter with all the yellow issues this seemed a safer buy.

    Get it if you need it and you'll be happy I feel.
     
  18. nines macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2007
    #19
    I finally ordered a 15.4'' MBP 2.4GHz today and feel seriously relieved, haha. [​IMG]

    In June I decided to get a new notebook, ordered the 17'' Hi-Res MBP and after two days using it all that HD crispness was giving me such a brutestyle headache that I decided to send it back to Apple. The time I was waiting for the refund I found these forums here and started reading... and read... and read... speculated what the next update would be... eventually got ideas that the videocard won't be decent enough for gaming... started becoming disturbed by visions of an overheating system... visions of yellow tint... burning powerbricks... hissing noises. You know.

    This will make you go nuts!

    Whatever, I ended up with the conclusion that the 15.4'' MBP is THE computer to get. I'm limited to a notebook because my job makes me act worse then a frikkin nomad but I wanted to be able to finally play some casual MMO in the hotel rooms rather then sedating myself with the local TV.

    I'd recommend you to brood another night about getting one now or later. If you are into the 17'' because of the 1900X1200 pixels for gaming you should reconsider this because an 8600m GT won't supply enough beef to make modern games run smoothely with that kind of insane resolution. That doesn't mean that it won't run new games at all. Check out the videos of this guy who uses his MBP for gaming obviously a lot.

    Good luck. [​IMG]
     
  19. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #20
    I regretted waiting so long... I mean, I love my MBP but why the heck did I torture myself if there would be an imminent upgrade soon? My advice: Buy when you want it.
     
  20. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #21
    I went ahead and bought the 17" MBP 1920 rez model this weekend and I love it. I figured any upgrade would be somewhat minor (.2 or so ghz probably), the only thing I would be disappointed in if it appears in the new refresh in January is a blu ray drive, but even then if I really needed it I suppose I could have it installed on mine.
     
  21. neversleepalone macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    #22
    im waitin on the new MBP, im in no rush, my imac g5(pre-built in isight) is holdin up just fine. the current MBP is a great machine, but the way i see it, in january(hopefully) i will probably be able to buy a MBP that is somewhat equivilent to the current mid-range high end MBP but at the cost of the current low-end MBP. i just want leopard at the moment, but i am a little cautious about putting it on this machine.
     

Share This Page