Is now the right time? New iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rupansansei, Jun 17, 2008.

1. rupansansei macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old Powerbook. It's been great. My first mac, and it's still going strong. It is, however, power pc, and I'd really like to have something newer. I've been eyeing the new iMacs, especially since they are cheaper than the MacBook Pros. I'm just a little wary - when I bought my laptop, six months later the intel chip notebooks came out. I realize that's the way things work, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other.

Is now a good time to get a new mac?

I'm thinking of splurging on the big iMac...hopefully it will last me three years like this laptop.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, MacRumors even has a buyers guide that says so.

3. rupansansei thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've been following the Buyer's Guide and watching the news from the recent conference, but there isn't anything that says much beyond "Montevina coming this fall." They were just updated a couple months ago. What I'm wondering is whether it would be worth waiting until the end of this year if I can put up with what I've got for a while.

4. felixkunze macrumors member

If you can wait, wait. I waited 7 months to buy my iMac (bought August last year the day the new design came out) and it was worth it. They should release an updated version either in the autumn (fall) or at Macworld in January 09.

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

But as heavily discussed here the change will likely be only minor upgrades, perhaps new processors and some new graphic options, I think the MOST we will see personally is a matt option on the display.

I plan to buy a 3.06ghz with 2GB and the 8800GS around September time, should a new one come out in January with enough specifiations to impress me enough I shall see about selling it within the family to upgrade.

6. philipk macrumors 6502

There us ALWAYS a better model just around the corner.

I am still waiting to buy my first TV.

When they appeared in the late 40's, I said they were too expensive the price will come down.

The price came down and I said lets wait for color.

Color came and I said the picture will get better.

The picture got better and I waited for Solid State.

Solid State came and I waited for Stereo.

Stereo came and I waited for High Def.

High Def came and I waited for 1080P.

I am now a very old man and wasted years waiting for the new and improved. Still I wait.

Seriously, I am middle aged and I remember reading something similar 25 years ago.

If you want it buy it!

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

8. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

+1

9. rupansansei thread starter macrumors newbie

haha...thanks for that. hilarious. i'll probably end up getting it while i can still get the education discount (currently teaching english in japan...and am still eligible). still just a little wary after missing out on the intel chips.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Here's my take. About 4 years ago I decided I really wanted a 12" G4 ibook. Really wanted it. I waited a year due to upgrade paralysis. In the interim (WWDC June 05) apple announced the intel switch. The last G4 upgrade came in about August 2005. I did not want to wait another 6 months so I bought the G4, KNOWING that the intel switch was coming. I have never regretted it; I still have the ibook and it still does what I need. (I'm one of those people who gripes about widescreen notebooks and I think the 12" form factor is perfection).

Compared to that, you are looking at what is effectively a minor speed bump. Go ahead and get the imac. (FYI I bought the last rev imac at Christmas 2007 and it is a real pleasure to use).

11. rupansansei thread starter macrumors newbie

cool. what size did you get? 20 or 24? i'm thinking of going 24 just so the computer will last a little longer.

also, the 12" books are neat. it would be sweet if apple released something in that size or maybe 10" that could compete with all the sub-notes that are out now.

also, another unrelated question, although i'm not too sure how many people will be able to answer it. i'm living/working in japan now and will be for at least the next year, possibly two. i'm planning on keeping the imac box so that i can ship it somewhere. it will probably cost some money, but will it be safe enough in the mail in the original box? the guy at the apple store in ginza said yes, which made me feel pretty confident. he said people do that all the time.

12. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I got a 20"-- best for the room size. I have had no trouble with it at all, although the viewing angle is not as great as a lot of LCDs I see-- not a problem for me since I sit in front of it when using.

I kept my box and would be very comfortable mailing the imac in it-- it is typical excellent apple packaging.

13. philipk macrumors 6502

Been there.

I returned to the Mac world in February 2005 when I bought a 20" iMac G5. Then in May, I bought my wife a G4 iBook. Then came the Intel announcement.

Was I upset? No.

Did I wish that I had waited? No.

Did I wish the change to Intel came first? Yes.

No regrets. I had over three good years use of the G5 and recently sold it. My wife still uses her iBook for school (4th grade teacher). It isn't getting replaced any time soon.

I bought a 2.2 Ghz MacBook in November 2007 and love it.

In May I bought a ACD 23" monitor to use with the MacBook and my photos. Then last week I got my 24" 2.8 Ghz, 500 Gig iMac.

My MacBook is fully portable again and I have two great screens to work with Aperture.

Had I known and waited, I would have missed a couple of years of the G5 and I would be currently using an early Intel 20". That wouldn't have been a problem.

However, I had over three great years of a G5 and now have a killer two screen iMac set-up.

Go for it.