Is Now The Right Time To Buy A Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by FlashGordon7, Oct 7, 2008.

  1. FlashGordon7 macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    Hi all,

    Just registered on the forum. I recently bought an iPhone 3G and absolutely love it, and its given me a real appreciation of the usability and style of Mac products. So I thought I would buy a Mac Mini to compliment my Dell XPS Laptop so I can get the best of both worlds. Figured it was a relatively cheap way of getting the benefits of working with a Mac.

    I have read a lot of good reviews of the Mac Mini, but it does seem that it's kind of regarded as the poor relation, not really getting any major updates. I also wondered if the graphics chips are going to be getting an upgrade in the near future, which again would make me hold off buying one.

    I would really appreciate people's thoughts,

    Thanks very much
  2. reflex macrumors 6502a

    May 19, 2002
    Wait a little bit to see what happens with the new Macbooks, Apple might release a new mini at the same time.

    Note that there are no rumors about a new mini, just my guess.
  3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
  4. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    Forgive my ignorance! But 400 days since what?
  5. arkitect macrumors 603


    Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
  6. TheReef macrumors 68000


    Sep 30, 2007
    NSW, Australia.
    Definitely wait.
    If they are dropped, then just get a refurb.
    Even a processor update should be quite a dramatic improvement considering it's been so long since modern parts were used.
  7. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    Hmmmm....recommendation is don't buy now.

    Problem is, whilst it can be seen that after 427 days you would expect an update very soon, the fact there has been so little news about any prospective updates does make me think Apple really aren't going to bothering with this. Not sure that info encourages me to go out and get one at all :(
  8. arkitect macrumors 603


    Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    It isn't meant to be encouraging you to go and buy one.
  9. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    No I meant it doesn't encourage me to get one even if they give it a small update in the near future, as its not something that Apple seem to bothered about promoting and putting their time and effort into.
  10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Feb 17, 2008
    It should happen the same day as the other updates. Probably just a simple bump to 2.1 and 2.4 processors, more RAM on the upper model, bigger hard drives, and the X3100 graphics.
  11. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
  12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    I would hope so. That'd make it about 500 days!
  13. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

    May 5, 2007
    The mini is a good little computer. I bought one just after they were updated last year, the base model. It does the job and I run my 23" monitor off it. Unless you're doing anything particularly, madly intensive, you'll be fine.

    If you can wait, I probably would (at least until the Macbooks get bumped). Apple can't keep selling an uncompetitive computer, surely? On the other hand, if you've got the money, are unconcerned about depreciation, and want one now then go ahead.
  14. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

    Lord Zedd

    Oct 24, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    The current mini is too old and its a very poor value. Wait until Oct 14th at the very least.
  15. phifer8390 macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    I was in the same boat. I am pretty big into computers and electronics. I got an iPhone and wanted to try out a mac. I looked at Craigslist and I found an old G4 iMac. I played with it for a couple weeks and I am really enjoying it. Or should I say I was enjoying it. I just sold it on e-bay and bought a newer, but still old iMac to replace it. I also installed Mac OS X Leopard on my HP laptop. It has 2 hard drives and one is for OS X. I don't have wireless drivers for it yet but it works fine plugged directly into my switch. I would suggest trying it out. If not installing it on your Dell then maybe look for an older Mac. I paid 150 for it and sold it for 180 plus shipping. You will get a good idea of what you are getting into. Even the fact that it was an 700Mhz machine it still ran pretty fast. Just my 2 cents!
  16. tMac85 macrumors 65816


    Sep 15, 2007
    in a great place
    yeah for what you are getting in the macmini now, you are WAY over paying. its embarrassing how neglected the mini has become. dont buy it now. MWSF will probably bring an update.

    but glad you are making the switch!
  17. ChazUK macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    I got a Mini early this year and upgraded to an iMac a few months after.

    The mini is a great little mac but the lack of a dedicated graphics chip, 1GB ram and lack of a DVD writer (on the low end model) made me jump to the iMac. I also prefer the iMac thanks to not having untidy wires hanging out of the thing!

    It is a wonderful machine and I'm sure if it has a refresh any time soon it would be a worthy buy.
  18. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I will wait and watch with interest!
  19. tdevers macrumors regular

    Apr 21, 2008
    I plan on purchasing a refurbished base model around Christmas regardless of refresh or not. I don't need any more power than it already has for what I do.
  20. ditzy macrumors 68000


    Sep 28, 2007
    If you are going to buy get a refurb when they become available. 'New' minis just aren't worth the price.
  21. NyMetsFan08 macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2008
    I just bought a brand new mac mini myself that I did not even open yet at all because I have a feeling something might happen next week on October 14th who knows what? most likely macbooks and mac mini.
  22. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020


    Oct 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    also in the market for a mini, but I can easily wait.
  23. Mercer macrumors member


    Jul 7, 2008
    North West, UK
    I was looking to purchase a mini to replace my ever **** pc tower that ive owed for 6 years haha. i have an iphone 3G and Macbook, Just wanted something for general use whilst i save up for something that would be considered as a "gaming rig" haha :)
  24. illutionz macrumors 65816

    Oct 2, 2007
    Rhode Island
    If you can get great deals on eBay or craigslist, you can pick it up... otherwise you should wait and see
  25. FlashGordon7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2008
    I can afford to wait really. I have a pretty decent Dell XPS laptop that is more than capable of running all my essentials, but would like to start using some Mac software to see how it compares. Roll on October 14th............

Share This Page