Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabriel84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Hi there

I have recently seen a few threads out there that mention a new macbook pro may be launched soon with the new i5/i7 architecture..

I am itching to purchase the current 13" MB Pro but want to know what you think.. any chance they will launch in the next two/three months?

Thanks in advance...... :)

:apple:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
No, now is an awful not the best time. There are updates coming January/February that are fairly certain by most people on here. The Buyer's Guide says neutral, but there are few that don't predict an update in January/February.

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
No, Now's probably not the Best time to Purchase a New Macbook Pro, as its widely expected that Apple will have a refresh / Upgrade Q1/Q2 nexr year.

Having Said that, I'm not expecting a major upgrade to the 13" in the near future. While I'm pretty sure that the 15" and 17" will become available with i5 / i7, from what I've heard, they are pretty hot and power hungry, so no Notebook manufacturers have / Are putting them in small / thinner notebooks, in which the 13" MBP falls.

gabriel84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Excellent... I think I can hang back and bite my nails until then.. any ideas what kind of changes apple may make to the MB Pro's?

Thanks again..

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The last few updates of the MBP have been on an 8 month schedule. The last update was 5 months ago. So maybe around Feb is when the next version should come out (if it keeps to the same update schedule). I wouldn't say now is a bad time. If you like what is there then get it. The next update may have quad core cpu's or at the very least go upto 3.33ghz in the C2D.

euphuistical

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
I just bought one (first mac, my windows desktop crashed, and my laptop died two months ago, so I needed a new computer). I was mainly happy with what I got for the price. 15" uMBP 2.8GHZ w/anti-glare. Maybe waiting would have been better but I really didn't know any better, and honestly I needed a new computer now. I have no regrets, and cannot wait for it to get here! Should be today or tomorrow.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Well, if you're planning to buy the 13" anyway, the i5 and i7 won't be in that model (highly unlikely). So you're looking at a possible speed bump to 2.66 in the higher end 13", the RAM is already maxed. If you're looking to buy the lower end 13" however, I would wait. The new whitebook now outspecs the entry 13" MBP with a larger HD. I can see all 13" models (white and Pro) with 250 or 320GB HDDs.

Soo... I guess it all depends on which 13" MBP you were looking to buy. I would buy the higher end one today and have few regrets. The Lower end, I would probably hold out until updates.

euphuistical

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Or, both models are in the refurb store for $200 less. That would be a nice deal.

Yeah, I got a refurbished one, really sweet deal, and as long as I can play Starcraft II and Diablo III that is all that matters game-wise.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If you truly need a new laptop, now is an excellent time; it's always an excellent time.

If you don't, now is not an excellent time.

You can drive yourself insane by trying to guess when apple's about to release a laptop that you don't truly need.

It can be just as maddening to put off a purchase that's needed just because something may be released later on.

Something newer, cooler, better and cheaper will always be released, as sure as the sun will rise.

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
If you absolutely need it now, then buy refurb and upgrade when the new models are released, if they are worthy. Otherwise wait.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
Like Clyde said, if you need it now buy it now. If not, wait. Every time is a great time to buy a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.