Is now the right time?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maleficum, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. Maleficum macrumors member

    Jun 29, 2006
    In a Chair
    I'm planning on getting a 13'' 512 RAM (etc.) MacBook, but I think I'm finally convinced that I am NOT going to buy one until next year sometimes when some of the bugs are fixed (and the price is upped, naturally :( ) so my MacBook won't randomly start turning yellow when I touch it.
    Is this the right thing to do? It would be nice if I had a fully-functioning one. It seems like people say it's a "small group" of people who have had problems, and I've only read about 3 positive reviews about the MB/MBP.
  2. imacintel macrumors 68000

    Mar 12, 2006
    Buy now. Most polls on mr say that more people DON'T have problems.
  3. YS2003 macrumors 68020


    Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I am also on the same boat as you are. I feel it is simply a luck to get the problem-free MB. Some people say those problems posted on the forums are exaggerating or being OCD. But, I feel those problems/issued other users posted on the forums are valid to some extent. I do believe these rev A products from Apple have been more problem prone than the most recent PB (not the 15" PB, as it was plagued with screen issues) and iBooks.

    All of my Macs (4 of them) are in good shape and I want to keep this track record intact.
  4. shawsinio macrumors regular

    May 29, 2006
    i have a macbook an mine has been absoltuely fine so far (touches wood)!

    i dunno what the best option is for buying one now or later, you could take the plunge, applecare will sort major problems, and applecare will now even change a yellowing top section of your lappy. the mooing isnt that annoying, its not too loud, you cant hear it over music anyway. and as for the heat, well, its a dual core processor in a little laptop, it WILL get hot, but if its on your desk or whatever, you will be fine! if you really need it on your lap, there is a heatproof laptop case (i dont know the link) which you can put on your lap to protect you.

    or alternatively, buy a refurbished one, they are cheaper, and have gone through quality control twice, so will hopefully have had some of their problems worked out!

    hope that helps you a bit in making your decision!
  5. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2006
    I was nervous about buying as well, but I was sick of waiting so I took the plunge last Saturday. The black MacBook I got from a nearby Apple Store is a week 21, but it doesn't moo or whine, and the only problem I had with the computer itself was solved by disabling "ignore accidental trackpad input" in System Prefs. Yeah, the machine can get hot, but so have all of my previous laptops (Presario 1200, Compaq LTE5280, PowerBook 145) so I was sort of expecting it.
  6. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Buy now, it is a low involvement purchase anyway... a MB is not that expensive.

    If it is a MBP or even the upcoming Mac Pros, then woah, hold on to your horses for now :rolleyes:
  7. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

    May 16, 2006
    I'd recommend that you wait until the stain and mooing issues are solved.
    My MacBook moos, and I can tell you that it's quite a bit annoying. While I don't regret my purchase, I cant't recommend others to buy one just yet.
  8. DeeCee macrumors newbie

    Jul 2, 2006
    From my recent experience with a week 23 17 MBP lemon, I would say wait if you can. I have had a number of problems with mine and am trying to get a refund so that I can just wait for the Merom processor

Share This Page