Is now the time to buy a Mac-Book Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jameskuk, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Jameskuk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Macs. I've been using a G4 & a G5 with Logic Pro 8 for music production around my friends home studio, and now it's about time I got myself a Mac Book Pro. I need portability.. so the Mac Book seems the best option..

The problem is, i wanted to go and buy one straight away but the people I work with say that Mac is releasing a new Mac Book later in the year which will drive the prices of the old models down.. However I can't find any details of a new release on MacRumours or other sites? Am I not looking hard enough.. Is now the right time to buy a Mac Book Pro?

Appreciate any help :)
    James

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'd wait as long as you possibly can. Though no one REALLY knows when new ones will be released, many are waiting for Intel to release their Nehalem platform, because even early tests are boasting as much as 50% speed increase.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/06...-nehalem-benchmarked-much-faster-than-penryn/

So who knows. The choice is ultimately yours, but you may want to wait as long as you personally can. There will always be new tech around the corner.

I've been using my powerbook G4 for 4 years and I want to upgrade, but I personally can wait, so I will.

3. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

there are always new models coming out, I have learned to just by when you need it and then stay away from the news for awhile :)

4. steeler macrumors regular

As with all technology, if you're OK with what you have, wait. Otherwise, there's no point in just waiting for the next great thing -- there's always something better coming next quarter or next year.

It's not like the current lineup of MBPs are junk. There may be a great speed increase in the next generation, but if you need a new machine, just get it. Macs hold their value well, so if early next year you decide you would prefer to have the latest model, you can always sell the one you buy now and get the new models.

5. Jameskuk thread starter macrumors newbie

"I'd wait as long as you possibly can. Though no one REALLY knows when new ones will be released, many are waiting for Intel to release their Nehalem platform, because even early tests are boasting as much as 50% speed increase."

Thanks Agentphish.. that's what I'm going to do.. Speed is vital as for we're using them on stage to replace an old school sampler setup, and also to write new music using Logic, Ableton Live & Pro-Tools.. so I'll wait for the Nehalem platform.. but I hope it comes out in July/September!

James

6. idlehippy macrumors newbie

Moore's law

Following most of this advice which is good advice I'd say buy a new computer when you need to rather than wait for the next big thing, the next big thing (we most commonly mean speed increase) is just around the corner.

Look up Moore's Law on wikipedia which will give you some interesting information on speed increases in computer chips, basically they're supposed to double every two years.

Hope this helps and will give you some meaningless (or meaningful?) trivia.

R!

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I highly doubt you'll see it in 2008. I believe it was on track for Spring 2009, I might be wrong though.