Is Now The Time to Buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy0379, May 11, 2015.

  1. Andy0379, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015

    Andy0379 macrumors newbie

    May 11, 2015
    I currently have a 2013 MacBook Air, and I am not satisfied with it. I thought of getting the new MacBook, but it is too weak and not reasonable since I have a iPad Air 2, and I use it for viewing news and browsing the web. I want to get a MacBook Pro, and I am afraid if I buy it now, a new one with a new design will come out in the fall or winter this year. What should I do; should I wait or get it now?:apple:
  2. Awfisch macrumors member


    Feb 1, 2011
    I would highly advise against purchasing a new one until at least WWDC is over. They often announce upgrades to the macbook pro there. It's in early June.
    Also, use the buyer's guide to find out when to buy and when not to. It currently says to not buy.
  3. D.T. macrumors G3


    Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Buy a chicken costume and wear it while chasing kids in the neighborhood.
  4. Andy0379 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 11, 2015
    It says to buy it, but only the 13 inch model is new. Also I will take your advice to wait until after WWDC, but I think it is pretty rare that they will realease a fully revamped version of the MacBook Pro. What should I do after they don't realease in WWDC?
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Firstly, I doubt that this is the proper section of the forum to raise this topic; there is a dedicated MBP section, where this question might more usefully be put.

    Secondly, why are you dissatisfied with your 2013 MBA? Is it the retina screen? Or is it that the model you bought is not the model you thought you'd want or need?

    I have a CTO 2013 MBA (8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD Core i7) and it is easily the best computer I have ever had, so before seeking new sensations elsewhere you need to satisfy yourself why what you have no longer satisfies you.

    Thirdly, I am not sure that you know yourself what you want.

    You mention the MB retina, with the remark that you 'thought of buying it'. This MB retina is not the MBP; actually, it is a first generation computer which is an exceptionally underpowered and under equipped machine. Its sole redeeming feature (and its chief selling point) is that it comes with a retina screen. However, it is one that will require a lot of further tweaking before it matches the MBA for performance, let alone the MBP.

    Re 'time', it is never the 'right' time, if you are using outside criteria which none of us can foretell with any degree of accuracy.

    My advice is to buy a computer if you need it; and wait if you merely want it.
  6. Meister Suspended


    Oct 10, 2013
    Wrong subforum.


    Excellent adivse!
    Also always advisable is to linger around playgrounds dressed in women's underwear.
  7. donklaus macrumors member

    Mar 6, 2011

    I logged in for the first time in more than a year just to "like" this post.
  8. theluggage macrumors 68040

    Jul 29, 2011
    Wise, given its only a few weeks, but don't rely on it - there's no guarantee that any Macs will get launched at WWDC, and the dominating factor this time round is when Intel manages to produce the remaining Broadwell chips (delayed from last year) - needed for a rMBP 15" upgrade and the next-gen "Skylake" chips (still supposedly on-course for this year) presumably needed for any major Mac re-designs.

    The 13" rMBP was updated in March with Broadwell CPUs and the new trackpad. The quad core chips weren't available, so no 15" at the time. Maybe there will be a 15" Broadwell bump this summer, or maybe it will be skipped if Skylake is coming "real soon now".

    So, yeah, I'd wait for WWDC in any case (even if there's no new Macs there may be a 24-carat gold iToilet with Force Flush and CrapTic Feedback to save your cash for). If there's no news, then, if I wanted a 13" (Pro or Air) I'd get it, if I wanted a 15" I'd see if I could hold on for a while longer.
  9. marc55 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2011
  10. carlgo macrumors 68000

    Dec 29, 2006
    Monterey CA
    It is far better to chase after their MILFs instead.
  11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3


    Nov 23, 2011
    Killed it.
  12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    I'll make this simple

    Now is the time to buy a 13 inch rMBP if that is what you want (and it would seem to best fit your use and price indications).

    It is not the best time to buy a 15 inch rMBP unless you are getting a steep discount.
  13. campyguy macrumors 68040

    Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    Chasing kids or MILFs while in a chicken suit aside, I remember watching the WWDC or some other Apple event a couple of years ago and the pretty big across-the-board price cut on MBPs.

    That, and seeing the sales that MacMall/B&H/Adorama are putting on rMBPs now... Clearing out the Haswells and bring on the Broadwells and/or Skylakes!!!

    I need a few rMBPs for my small business, and I'm waiting... ;)
  14. moworks2 macrumors member

    May 3, 2007
    I feel if you can wait, wait. See what happens. You know what you need and when.

    I'm going to order a 15" with dgpu in about two weeks. I see 'em for around $2300 at b&h, adorama. I need a new computer. My 2008 mbp still works and will be handed down. These 2014 laptops will be a big upgrade for me. Photoshop and Lightroom will fly. I hope ;-)

    Even if apple released a brand spankin' new computer in June I'd buy one of these older models. I don't buy first generation laptops. By now the existing model has most of the bad stuff worked out.

    It also creeps me out how apple is putting one port on a laptop now. How to make the consumer pay for extra stuff to make things work with the computer. I don't like it. Ports are good. I use my laptop for work. So I'll buy this current laptop and use it until it dies or whatever.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Share This Page