Is now the time to buy? For me at least?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BiikeMike, Feb 5, 2008.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/264; U; en))

With the capacity boosts just announced, now is as good a time as any right? Most people seem to think it will be at LEAST 6 months until v2, and I have been looking for awhile.

I currently have a Blackberry, and it sucks at syncing with my computer. I am constantly going back and forth on switching to an iPhone, and this seems like it may put it over the edge.

Think now is a good time to jump on the iPhone bandwagon?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What do you want to use it how. If you need corporate email, I say stick with the Blackberry.

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/264; U; en))

I run my own business, so my corporate email is gmail :)

I want it to keep track of my calendar, check 3 gmail accounts and a comcast account. I also want it for web browsing, etc.

I have a touch, and I like the interface, I just have reservations about switching from VZW. Also, what happens when you receive a picture message on the iPhone? Can you retrieve it from the web browser?

Can I get a corporate discount through my own business?

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You may want to check the Whopper Layer and see if they have opinions.

If an iPhone will really really really help your biz out, go for it. It will be at least May before v2 comes out.

I just want one for personal use, so I'm keeping my patience. The fact that I don't really have $500 really really makes a huge difference. I also know that I'll hate myself for not waiting for 3G and whatever other goodies are on the big revision this year.

5. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

If it does everything you need in it's current state then why wait?

Everyone is so gung-ho on having the latest and greatest that they're in a never ending cycle of waiting. If the product does everything you need and fits your needs and wants, then there's no point in waiting and no point in complaining when a new model comes out.

I think a lot of people, like when the price drop happened so soon after launch, freak out because the new customers are getting an advantage in some way, but when we bought the damn thing we all thought it was worth it. It's like a switch that gets flicked as soon as something new comes out.

If the iPhone does it for ya, then grab one and enjoy :)

6. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I bought the 8gb iphone on Friday. I was hesitant because the normal thing for me is for an updated version to come out a week later. Per the norm, this week wasn't any different. I took my 8gb back, paid the 10% restocking fee and bought the 16gb version. It holds every single thing I'd want take on the road with me. I'm typing this response on it and absolutely love this thing. My advice is to go for what you want as updates are always looming on the horizon.

7. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Hahaha! Nice Dane reference!

It does most things I want, minus MMS, Exchange support (I do have one address with exchange, but its also IMAP accessable).

I figure most things can be upgraded through software, hence the beauty of this device!

Only physical things I'd change are the headphone jack, 3g (not that important really) and the stupid antenna being on the bottom not the top.

8. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Oh yeah, I'm not upset when new technology comes out either. That's the nature of the beast!

Can you use any BT headset with the Jesus phone, or just the apple one?

9. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

Unfortunately there are no discounts on the phone itself. The company I work for has a discount program with AT&T. Granted the discount is only 8% but it all helps. What I don't understand is why our discount through Verizon is 20%?...

I have a new Motorola noise canceling BT headset and it connects to the Iphone just fine.

Edit* For the little time I've been using Edge, I don't find it to be that bad considering what it is. I'm able to pull up Youtube videos with just a minor wait time in the beginning. In our area Edge is most definitely faster than dialup.

10. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Macinva, do you live in Virginia? If so, where, and how is you coverage?

11. PaulMoore macrumors regular

I have AT & T but not an iPhone (yet). Just remember you might have to put up with worse customer service- I know Verizon is normally rated as much better than AT&T.

I've only been living in the US for a couple of years and use AT&T for rollover minutes but they are a pain to deal with and where I live their coverage isn't that great.

I guess like everything there are pros and cons. Everyone I know with an iPhone loves it.

12. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I switched from Verizon to AT&T in DC. The coverage of AT&T is not quite as good, but it's not bad at all.

Just get the dang phone. You'll be fine. If you want it, and have the $$$ then now is the time. :)

13. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

OK, I've had my iPhone now for 3 months.

It is a phone people. Why do you want to run down the battery of your phone with more movies and music? I just don't get this.

I plug my iPhone in all the time, compared with my blackberry.

Yes I use wifi and watch you tube while I'm on the can and surf the web when I'm on my couch and to lazy to get up and go to my iMac two feet away.

I just don't get giving more storage without more battery life.

Either none of us need a phone or everyone should just go out and buy an iPod Touch.

14. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Or, we want a phone and an iPod touch in one device..... And know how to manage our battery use......

15. aanndrew macrumors member

i had a blackberry 8300 and i dont regret the email on iphone is better in a way because of how it displays.
    also depending were you are iphones internet speeds and overall internet is 100% better than the blackberry internet .
    id say wait til the sdk and see if you like whats on offer and then jump on board !!

:D

16. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Yeah, thanks for the advice everyone! I think i'll wait until the SDK (I'll be travelling a lot anyway until then) and then get one!

Weird, I made all those other posts on my Blackberry, and it shows up as a Treo :confused:

17. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

Yeah, I live in Chesapeake, VA. The coverage is always at 5 bars here. I've been way out in no mans land Suffolk and didn't have any service, but that's about it.

Quite happy with the coverage in this area.

My wife and I have a Verizon account as well, and we're keeping it because almost everyone we call also has Verzion. I got the iPhone for the mobile web features and email etc.

Quite pleased so far.