Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Mine will arrive tomorrow but I have concerns about a pending refresh.

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Depends how badly you need it right now and what you're using it for. If you're just doing light photo editing then it doesn't really matter what model you have for example. There will probably be a new model in October or so, but if you really need one right now then go for it.

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I would say no. The 27" retina is still fairly new and I think a great time to get one.

I just ordered a refurb of the 4GHz/M295X which is a sweet spot in terms of price and performance and better than the low-end Mac Pro in some cases.

If you find it is underperforming for what you need, you have 14 days to return it and get a higher-end Mac Pro.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
If you need it and you can afford it, then there is nothing wrong with investing in a great product. Hope you enjoy everything about it.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
I would say no. The 27" retina is still fairly new and I think a great time to get one.

I just ordered a refurb of the 4GHz/M295X which is a sweet spot in terms of price and performance and better than the low-end Mac Pro in some cases.

If you find it is underperforming for what you need, you have 14 days to return it and get a higher-end Mac Pro.

I ordered the 4 32 M295X 3TB from the refurb store. I've noticed they go quickly when they show up.

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I ordered the 4 32 M295X 3TB from the refurb store. I've noticed they go quickly when they show up.

Yes they do! I set up a tracker as probably many do. They typically replenish the listings in the morning and end of day I noticed. They seem to only have certain configurations and I haven't seen any deviation from those. The 295s go first.

I ordered the 4GHz 16GB 512SSD M295X. Coming tomorrow--looking forward to it.

Enjoy your iMac!

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
It will be a while before there is a refresh. I've however seen various good deals here in normal online-shops, which is usually a sure sign that something is in the pipeline. Though it could be a couple of weeks.
And even then: how much faster, better than the current model can the updated model be?
We're usually talking about a 10% or maybe 15% increase in CPU/GPU.
The iMac isn't the MacMini or the MacPro that get updates once every 2nd year (at best).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.