Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
why?

its probably just an unsubsidized price for the phone, meaning if and when a new iPhone pops up at WWDC 2010 you'll probably be able to update for significantly less money that they are offering current 3G owners on o2.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
I doubt they will reduce the price, unless sales totally bomb.

In any case, with Apple's high margins, they probably don't have a great deal of room for manoeuvre.

FrogTastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
United Kingdom
I guess you right, but looking at their price table on the O2 website. There doesn't seem to be much point in upgrading to the 3G. I realized it will be removed shortly, however i would think there would be some sort of sales push before doing so!

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
The UK iPhone prices are very much inline with those in the US now, if not cheaper, with the 8GB iPhone 3G being free compared to $99 on its nearest match contract. I also think the 3G is here to stay for the majority of the next 12 months.

I cannot see the UK prices dropping anytime soon. The 3G S is never going to sell as well as the 3G did, simply because of the contract issues with the bulk of potential customers being tied into contracts already. O2 know this, and Apple know it so it will already be priced accordingly. Only poor sales will force O2 to drop the price, but Carphone Warehouse are reporting heavy interest already, plus the only negatives so far are around upgrades, and tethering not the cost to new customers.

Ofcom may have something to say about tethering if the complaints don't die down though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.