is OAuth encryption?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MACloop, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MACloop, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010

MACloop macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I use OAuth within one of my apps and am about to publish it on the app store. When uploading a new app, you are asked if the app includes encryption. If I use OAuth - how shall I answer this question? What does it mean if my answer is yes? What do I have to prepare for this? Our company is in Europe and the app is going to be sold in US/Canada and Europe.

ok, lets put it this way. What are the rules about encryption and releasing apps on the app store? In my implementation I use HMAC-SHA1 as it is the encryption to use when calling the OAuth service I use. So, when uploading the app into the app store - what must I do and what are the rules about this?
    Thanks in advance for any comments!
    MACloop

2. forum user macrumors regular

3. MACloop thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot for the answer!
    This means - I can define my app as not using encryption when loading it into the app store? All I do is using HMAC-SHA1, CommonCrypto, Base64Transcoder.h
    Thanks in advance!
    MACLoop

4. forum user macrumors regular

Hashing of something (a password, a string) is a oneway operation. You need to know the password, hash it using a given method, then compare it with the hash you received from somewhere. That is not really considered as being encryption.

In encryption you intend to communicate by encrypting, transmitting, then decrypting the supplied data.

Without knowing your app only you can answer what legislation is applicable