Is occasional frame drops on DVD playback common with Macs?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ToTo Man, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2008
    I'm in the process of ripping my dvd collection to my Mac Pro for ease of access but am noticing that when playing these rips back in the DVD Player app the picture stutters (drops a frame?) once every 15 seconds approximately. The audio isn't affected, just the video. It's not that noticeable but once you know it happens every 15 seconds you end up anticipating it so it does ultimately distract from the enjoyment of watching. If I burn the rip back onto DVDR and play it back on my consumer DVD Player it plays fine without any stutters. Is this frame dropping inherent to DVD playback on a computer, or is there a particular setting I need to enable/disable to solve this problem? I really wasn't expecting to have this problem on a Mac Pro!...
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    How do you rip and transcode those video DVDs with what application(s) and what settings/presets, as I didn't have that problem with my G4 iBook and playing back the ripped VIDEO_TS folder in either DVD Player or VLC Player or even playing back the transcoded .avi using the Xvid codec.
  3. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2008
    I'm using RipIt, set to PAL 25fps (I'm in the UK), and am ripping the full dvd (i.e. not converting to another format). My MP is hooked up to a 42" Panasonic 720p Plasma by DVI-to-HDMI.

I just experimented by changing the Display setting in System Prefs from 50Hz PAL to 60Hz NTSC, and the frame drop every 15 seconds has gone now, but the video as a whole now doesn't seem to be quite as smooth.
  4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2008
    Dropped frames is NOT normal. What happens if you don't set RipIt to 25fps? Try that instead. Just rip and don't change any settings. I'm in the US and I ripped some European DVDs and didn't change anything. They play perfectly.
  5. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2008
    Sorry I meant to say in my previous post that the stutter also happens when playing the original DVDs in real time in the Mac's DVD Drive through the DVD Player app, so it's not the ripping process that's causing the stuttering.

I've searched through the preferences on the DVD Player app, RipIt app, and System Prefs, and no where can I see any option to select between 50Hz PAL and 60Hz NTSC apart from on the Display pane of System Prefs. I also can't see an option anywhere to adjust the frame rate of the DVD. You can tell that my knowledge of digital video is pretty non-existent!...
  6. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The MacOS X DVD Player app just works and is rock solid on every computer that I have used it. What is the source of your "DVD collection"?
  7. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2008
    Official live music concert DVDs, 99% of which are Region 2 PAL.