Is occasionally dropping your iPhone part of 'normal use'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thermal macrumors regular

...LeBuhn threw down $252 in September for a new iPhone 4, but three weeks later the glass broke when his daughter accidentally dropped it approximately three feet to the ground while sending a text message.

He previously owned a 3GS version of the iPhone and claims the glass did not break when accidentally dropped from similar heights

Apparently fed up and pissed off, California resident Donald LeBuhn filed a class action lawsuit earlier this week in L.A. County against Apple, claiming the company knows about the design flaw and refuses to warn consumers that "normal" use leads essentially to a broken phone.

Would you agree that occasionally dropping your iPhone is part of 'normal use'?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I've never heard of anyone that hasn't dropped a phone, so I guess so. Since the edge of the iP4 has the glass exposed he may have a point.

I wish him luck. I use a bumper to protect it. :apple:

3. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I would say absolutely not. Dropping your phone is not considered "normal" functionality of the phone in the slightest.

How is it a "design flaw" for glass to break when dropped? One time I was doing dishes and a plate slipped out of my hands, hitting another plate beneath it and breaking it. Do you think I could sue IKEA for selling plates that break?

Would crashing your car be considered normal use? Not everyone does it, but it happens occasionally.

If he wins, that's just ridiculous.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

He dropped the phone from a 3 foot height. Who here hasn't? It happens, and it really shouldn't break from such a small fall, but I've heard of other cases where it has. I hope he wins.

He has a point. The glass on the iPhone 4 is marketed as being 10x stronger than plastic, and more durable than previous iPhones. That turned out not to be the case (I know many people who shattered the glass on the iPhone 4).

He wants Apple to reimburse the people they charged $200 to fix the glass and stop claiming that the glass on the iPhone 4 is 10x stronger than plastic, it's not. If he wins, maybe Apple will use actual Gorilla glass next time, because that stuff actually is damn near indestructable, I have yet to hear a single case of a shattered Dell Slate screen. I would love to not have to baby the iPhone 5 the way I do the iPhone 4.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

is dropping a fresh cold Beer considered normal drinking behaviour? :cool:

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I dropped and shattered the screen on my iPhone 2G, but I didn't get all infantile about it and start suing.

8. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iphone 4 without a case atleast 10 times, and 4 of those times on concrete. I even dropped it in my sink once with running water. None of the times did the glass shatter or the phone break, except the very last time when I dropped it on concrete. I had the phone for 5.5 months.

I was going to sue apple for it but then I bought myself a brain.

I also got my next ip4 free, even with a cracked screen. At that point I was really debating on suing Apple.

9. thatshellacool macrumors newbie

I dropped my old phone... a BlackBerry 9700... with a plastic screen and very thick bezel surrounding the phone... about 3-4 feet onto the ground, which ended up shattering the LCD.

I've had 3 BlackBerries prior that one, plus at least 6 other phones. Dropped them all from time to time, some way more than others, and that phone was the first to suffer from a shattered LCD.

Point being: It happens.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

I dropped my iPhone once, immediately the screen was cracked. It was repaired under warranty though.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I haven't dropped my iPhone once since 3G

12. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I agree. Phones aren't designed to be dropped.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.