Is OK to partition a TimeMachine HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Nov 25, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Is it OK to partition a Time Machine Hard Drive? I want to avoid the drive getting full, as this reduces its speed. So I would like to have a separate partition wich would garantee that the hdd doesnt gets full. And I may use the partition for other purpuses.

BTW, the drive is already 5 times what I need for backup or external storage, and would be a firewire drive

Second question, since we are at it, is it ok to keep files in your time machine hdd, along the backups folder?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My external drive has 3 partitions

1. Time machine
    2. Carbon Copy clone
    3. Storage - movies

Works great from my system

3. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, my purpose is to have a clear system restore in an external hdd, so whenever I feel like upgrading the HDD, or if perhaps it crashes, I will have an easy way of upgrading/replacing the HDD. I already have a satisfactory file backup solution with a software of my own. But my goal here is to also have a complete system snapshot for easy restore. I only need to update this snapshot every 2 weeks, or even every month.

Wich software do you recomend, create a Time Machine backup, or a carbon copy clone?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^
    For that purpose I would go with the Carbon Copy Clone

I love having both TM and a clone
    TM to keep a historical backup
    A clone that is a bootable duplicate of my current system setup

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It is a LOT faster to recover using a bootable clone than from a Time Machine restore.