Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Hi, I have a brand new 65W GaN charger, which I bought a few months ago and I wonder whether I can use it with my new M1 MBA without damaging the battery.

Cheers

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't see why not. I've used pretty much every USB-C charger I was able to get my hands on with my 2017 MacBook and the worst that would happen is that it would charge very slowly because it had to fall back on 5V/2A for safety reasons due to lack of appropriate and fitting PD profiles.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I don't see why not. I've used pretty much every USB-C charger I was able to get my hands on with my 2017 MacBook and the worst that would happen is that it would charge very slowly because it had to fall back on 5V/2A for safety reasons due to lack of appropriate and fitting PD profiles.
This is the one I have:
Ugreen 65W GaN

So this should work as it's PD certified right? I just down wanna damage the battery I am a bit of OCD about that ?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is the one I have:
Ugreen 65W GaN

So this should work as it's PD certified right? I just down wanna damage the battery I am a bit of OCD about that ?
Yes, I’ve been using PD-compliant GaN chargers with my Macs for the past 2 years without any issues. IMO It’s far past time for Apple and other PC makers to include them as standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.