Is one day enough to conduct a review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfacts, Oct 31, 2017.

?

Is one day enough to do a real review?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. I don't care what other people think

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

2. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

No. It's like dating and falling in love.

Poor Nilay Patel from The Verge. Apple only gave him a day to give a conclusive review. It takes about two weeks just to settle down a new battery and get a better gauge on battery life.

3. pl1984 Suspended

I said yes. The reason? There's nothing really different about the iPhone X compared to the 8 / 8 Plus. iPhone X reviews will go like this:
    • Note how gorgeous it looks (including the bezel-less design, OLED screen, etc.)
    • FaceID
    • Animoji's
    • Everything else, including camera, will be almost identical to the 8 / 8 Plus
    Just my hunch.

4. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Ummm...no. That’s why these are quick hits. Just like every single iPhone release. More thorough reviews will come over the next two weeks. We’ve only been experiencing it this way for 10 years....

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

6. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

So far every "review" seemed very scripted and went over the same exact points. I wouldn't be surprised if these are "paid" reviews to push the hype train along. By paid I mean we give you a phone to review, you give us a favorable review. Next year you'll be on our VIP list for another review unit. Say anything bad, no phone for you. That's sadly how most reviews work these days.

7. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Complete nonsense, but feel free to provide any proof you have of this. The reviews published today come from some of the most highly respected tech journalist in North America.

8. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

The two folks I bothered watching were up on the new gestures, buttons and tested the camera/animojis/Face ID. These and talking about how apps work or not with the notch, seems like a good enough review. Both reviewers had iPhone 8s and were at the X announcement so they had some idea of what was coming. That's pretty darn good for first impressions.

Of course, more detailed reviews are coming.

I read/watch iPhone reviews to get an understanding of things like and/or potential issues. Ultimately. though my own tests are what determines if I want new Apple tech.

My biggest concern would be remembering all the swipes and button combinations.

9. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

And you really think if they said this phone is garbage, it's not worth the upgrade, it's a 8+ with a different screen, etc... Apple would invite them to review another phone or device? That would seal their fate as being on Apple's list of trusted reviewers. They are inclined to say positive things in order to stay on the good side of Apple. That is true of literally any other reviewer out there.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I can definitely take a phone, use it for a day, and come away with some conclusions. That said, I think it takes a lot longer than that to get to really understand a device, find out all that it has to offer, and really know what is going on.

I’ve made the decision not to keep a google pixel after one day of usage, I posted a post here about my experience, what I didn’t like. Same for a Nexus 6. I could have definitely spent more time with both phones and probably should have. In both cases, I ended up going back to my iPhone pretty quickly.

But for a tech journalist, I imagine the reviews would be a lot more interesting, refined if they had used the phone for a week instead of just one day.

Always figured they did that to wet the appetite of us consumers - and like other posters here said, Apple sure as heck won’t give a phone to someone who said something negative, so it has to be positive, right? :)

11. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

No. If a top tier reviewer or organization was ever denied access to a device for review purposes due to a prior negative review, all hell would break loose. Apple would get called out by those same people collectively. They would be crucified. The ONLY time a media outlet has ever been punished by Apple was went Gizmodo bought a stolen prototype iPhone years ago and published a story about it in detail. The people conducting top tier reviews are actual journalists that abide by a certain set of ethics.

What you suggest is prevelant among a different group of people. Mommy bloggers “reviewing” strollers and getting free or heavily discounted gear from the company. Things like that.

12. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Not like they are going to be told "No you can't have it, you said something bad last year" they just won't have the offer on the table. Lol if you think this isn't true then you are sadly mistaken. It happens all the time, especially with game reviewers.

13. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Tech reviews work the same way as other reviews, like those for films. If a film is purposely not screened for review prior to release...it means something. It almost always means there was serious hype for the movie, but the studio knows the finished product actually sucks. So they don’t want negative word to get out. They would to scavenge any money they can on that opening weekend before people find out his big movie is a dud. Allowing your products to be reviewed prior to release is expected. If you don’t...something hasn’t gone well. Allowing it to be reviewed shows you have confidence in the finished product and believe that it will be well enough received to generate additional positive buzz.

14. Damstr macrumors 6502

No because you need to let that “I just got a new toy” feeling wear off first.

15. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

No, it doesn’t. Not with the top tier reviewers and publications.

16. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Really?

[​IMG]

17. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Yes. You do realize that game proves my point(s), right?

18. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

It was probably the worst game ever made.

19. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The reality is that the iPhone X and Face ID will likely need to be tested more thoroughly more than just a day or two. But that's when the real reviews will surface is when consumers have the option to thoroughly test all the functionality of the iPhone X. It needs to be tested in all environments to see how successful Face ID truly is and the security behind it. And of course everything else iPhone X related will be known over time with millions of iPhone users adopting it overtime.

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It certainly gives you enough time to get a positive or negative first impression, but don't expect anything in-depth.

22. FFR Suspended

FFR

23. macfacts thread starter macrumors 68040

macfacts

I like everything about iPhone X except the price. I would have liked $650 usd better, even if it meant 16gb base storage.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini