Is one model MBP less likely to "over heat"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisB1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ChrisB1 macrumors member

I was wondering if either of the MPB's were less likely to get too hot (whatever that means). There has been a lot of discussion of the 2011 MBPs heating up over 90 degrees C when playing games and/or running 1080p videos on Youtube or the like. Is the 13" more likely to get hot due to the smaller enclosure or is a 15/17" with the AMD Radeon Graphics employed more likely to get hotter?

Or is this a non issue and the MBP's really running completely normal and the whole thing is much about nothing? :D

Thanks,

Chris

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This ^. Macs are designed to shut down if they truly overheat, to prevent damage. All the threads you see are the result of people not being used to the normal temperature ranges of Mac portables.

3. inket macrumors regular

inket

Non-issue. I have no problem with my 2009 MBP running @ 100°C. How ? It's on a desk.

^ the threads are from users who never used high-performance laptops; not just Macs.

4. k43l macrumors member

non-issue.
    Both, my 13" and 15" Macbook Pros, reach between 80 and 90C when put under load.

5. alexandero macrumors regular

In other words you're using a desk-top, not a lap-top.

6. Jakeblu macrumors regular

A portable desktop yeah :)

Nobody calls them Laptops anymore fella there all notebooks now, just look at the directory string at the top of the page.

7. Udden macrumors newbie

It's a non isssue. I was also worried at first but my 15 inch/6750 is very cool unless heavy load, which is to be expected. All notebooks with advanced hardware gets warm under load. While playing DA2 on highest settings it gets to 75-90c, and even then the palm rest is relatively calm.

Notebooks gets warm, that has always been the case, and it's nothing to worry about.

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 13" 2011 MBP is actually heating up less than the 15" MBP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/14

9. ChrisB1 thread starter macrumors member

Cool ;) and thanks.

I ran some 1080p Youtube on an older Windows laptop to see and it got up to 84 degrees C and my 2008 iMac was in the mid 70's. The lesson learned is heat happens.