Is only using Intel HD Graphics bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xi mezmerize ix, Jul 3, 2010.

1. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I got a program called "gfxCardStatus" that allows me to see which graphics card is being used and allows me to manually switch between them. I don't do anything graphically intensive in OS X (I only play games in bootcamp) but the nvidia card is being used most of the time and it makes my mbp hot and kills the time i can use the battery.

I switched my MBP to only use the intel card in os x and have seen no performance or visual difference, but I was wondering if this is a bad idea?

2. Version macrumors newbie

Not really an issue. Although some programs won't like being limited when they know they should be able to access the discrete card (Keynote for example).

I use GFX Card Status to keep things running on the Intel chip when I'm working at a coffee shop with no plug. Beyond that I let it switch over whenever it wants to.

3. Spartan-117 macrumors newbie

Spartan-117

Probly the best software invented for the macbook pro 15" 2010, use it always to keep silly programs like skype from taking over and turning on the nvidia. Just turn on the Nvidia when you want to do intensive stuff like games or photoshop :)

4. JustMack macrumors member

Actually, I found a problem with just using Intel HD Graphics with Skype..

for some reason, when I use gfxCardStatus to it "Intel only", after a few minutes my camera and the video on Skype would turn off, and become a black screen.

Has anyone else experienced this? or is this a bug?

I find it really annoying, why would it be that I can use Skype on my Asus Netbook ( the 3 year old EEE PC 701 SD) can run fine of Skype with its crappy graphics but I'd have problems with Skype on my MBP (which costs almost 10 times more) I have problems on the Intel?

anyone else notice this? or is it just me?

5. demonsavatar macrumors regular

No problems here with forcing it to use intel only graphics all the time.

Honestly Apple's automatic switching nonsense is a pain. I do not want things like flash, skype, or even photoshop to switch it to discrete graphics while I am on battery...