Is ordering MobileMe at discount w/ new MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 5, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I bought a 17" unibody and I have the option to add mobile me for $69. Do you think its worth it? If I add it then I won't have the free month trial..I don't really need it for anything besides the website creating and hosting aspect of it. I will use the other parts of it but I would not have considered buying it if it wasn't for the website portion of it..

2. MrM macrumors 6502

MobileMe is a huge waste. I honestly don't think it's worth $10.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its pretty expensive for a basic website hosting service.

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why? Even the web-hosting part? There are websites like freewebs (now known as webs dot com) that charge more for hosting per year without ads than this MobileMe subscription. Atleast on paper it seems good.. but thats why I wanted opinions of those who used it?

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems on paper that its worth it but I don't have the user experience which is why im asking.. on mobileme you can have 20gb space and 200gb bandwidth for this $69 the first year. On webs dot com, it costs $99 per year for 5gb space and 25gb bandwidth.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I can see you arnt experienced so i wont be sarcastic but if you search around google you'll see hundreds of thousands of millions of companies selling web hosting, "webs dot com" is just one of these.

A well known company called GoDaddy offers unlimited space and infinate bandwidth, yes infinate, for only $14.99 a month, or $170.88 a year, which is way way better value than mobileme.

Or take a look at their other plans if you dont need that much space, for $4.99 a month or $56.88 per year you get 10GB of space and 300GB of bandwidth (plus you get to choose your domain, you dont have to have some embarassing mobileme sub domain.)

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?ci=13447

Look around :)

7. bodhisattva macrumors member

It really depends on what you are looking for and your experience level. If you are experienced with common web hosting.. any service will be bit better of a deal money wise.. but if you want simply, no brainer syncing into your iweb, iphoto, ical apps.. the ability to sync your safari settings, bookmarks, mail prefs, etc... as well as have a nice clean area to have public folders and online storage without having to do the setup yourself... go for it.. mobile me is great for that..

I have an account simply so that my staff members can have a nice easy robust public folder to use without having to ftp in, etc. This keeps me from getting any staff member up to speed with anything more complex. As well, all Macs updated and sync calendars, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc through our MM account.. so just makes a few of our tasks a little easier.

But for all my web hosting, and serious programming efforts... I use GoDaddy as suggested above..

Good deal if you want simple and no work to it. Otherwise, can set up your own environment if needed, cheaper.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

MobileMe is only good syncing; I mean the webhosting is nice to have, but iWeb sucks so why bother.

As with GoDaddy, they are great.

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

I use it for iDisk and push email to my iPhone. I think the $40 it cost me for a year wasn't too bad, but I have several colocated servers of my own I could use for the same purposes.

The real advantage of MobileMe is the integration with the Apple ecosystem. It is just dead easy to do everything with that service.

I would look on eBay and Amazon's Marketplace for lower prices if you want it. The discount from Apple just isn't all that great.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Not worth it just for web hosting. For me it's great to keep my data in sync between Mac Pro, MBP, and iPod Touch.