Is OS 9 Bacwards Compatible

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spidermandragon, Feb 13, 2012.

1. spidermandragon macrumors newbie

I will very soon be the proud owner of a PowerBook G3 Pismo, 400 MHz, 512 MB Ram, and 30 GB drive. It is a dual booting OS 9.2 and OS X 10.4. I have some older software that says it is dual compatible with Windows 95/98 and Mac OS 7 or higher. Will this software work in OS 9? I am completely new to Macs, except for the computers we used way back in grade school (about 1990), so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out on this.

2. Bug-Creator, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

MacOS7 would suggest 68k code which should in principle work under OS9 (but not under OSX).

(after checking it appears that MacOS7 was also used on the very 1st PPCs, so you might even have luck running some of them under OSX's OS9-"EMU")

There surely were some incompabilities, but without you naming those apps you plan to use it's a bit stabbing in the dark.

Another option might be emulating an 68k-Mac with Basilik or similar, this should be near 100% compatible but performance will slower than some of the faster real 68k-Macs ......

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It states Mac OS 7 or Higher. This tends to imply its a Fat Binary in my view (68K + PowerPC code in 1 binary), because by the time Windows 98 was released I think Mac OS 8.5 had come out (bit shaky on the dates as I was mainly a PC user at the time, but Im sure 8.5 came out in '98)