Is our iPhone 3G bricked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by idyll, May 29, 2011.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

My friend's wife's iPhone 3G was jailbroken and unlocked running iOS 4.2.1, I believe. They tried to do updates on it or something, and now the iPhone is stuck in recovery mode.

They're asking me to help them get it working again, so I tried to restore the iPhone in iTunes to iOS 4.2.1, 4.1, and 4.0.1. No matter what, at the very end when it was completing the restore and it says it is "Restoring iPhone Firmware" it seems to get stuck and I get the message: "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1002)".

After that, I got the iPhone into DFU mode and found out the ECID of the iPhone via the System Profiler in OS X. Then in TinyUmbrella I manually entered the ECID and created a custom device. I tried to save the SHSH of the iPhone in TinyUmbrella, but it said "Found [0] shsh files to cache...". Does this mean that my friend did not save the SHSH in Cydia when they jailbroke their iPhone 3G?

What are my options now? What can be done to get the iPhone working at least, even without a jailbreak?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

it's not bricked impossible unless it's hardware related. there is no need to save shsh blobs on a 3g. you kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella. tons of jailbreaks have got error 1002 before you.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Is it possible that you have the 6.15.00 baseband? If this is the case, a normal restore won't work via iTunes. You will need to restore to custom firmware.

4. idyll thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried a restore via PwnageTool using a custom IPSW that uses the 6.15.00 baseband and still got the same 1002 error message :(

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

what baseband do you have? settings/general/about/modem firmware

6. idyll thread starter macrumors 6502

They don't remember and I can't access the settings as we can't get any iOS installed due to getting the 1002 error before a restore completes.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It wouldn't hurt to create a custom FW and try and restore to it? With the phone in pwnd dfu mode of course.