Is "OWC" a reliable source for upgrading RAM, harddrive, etc. yourself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quentoncassidy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. quentoncassidy macrumors newbie

Just curious if it's a reliable source. High quality components?

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I've used OWC for a very long time, upgrading four Macs with parts I got there. I trust them more than any other supplier. More than Newegg.

3. quentoncassidy thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, would you recommend getting these components from OWC rather than Apple? I've heard they charge much more for extra ram or more harddrive space than they should

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^yes and search much? OWC is one of the highest regarded places to buy ram around here.

5. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Definitely. When I got my blue/white G3 back in '99, the first thing I did was open the case and put in the extra RAM I got from OWC.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

totally agreed! they were absolutely wonderful taing only 5 days to ship RAM out to me here in Australia. was $100 cheaper then anything here even with shipping!

7. psychsplash macrumors newbie

I ordered a 240gb OWC Mercury Extreme SSD from them late last week (i'm in Australia). It arrived yesterday, well packed and installation was a breeze. I felt confident after browsing through these forums that they were well regarded and their products high quality. I would certainly order from them again

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup same here mate, was really well packed. hows the drive?

9. macoazm macrumors newbie

OWC is awesome

Great service, high quality components, fast shipping. I've bought almost 10 times from them. From OWC Mercure Elipe Pro Firewire 800 Drive, to Crucial C300 SSD to my new MBP.

10. moonwalk macrumors member

OWC is THE place to go for Mac peripherals, and has been for years. I recommend all my friends shop there. Over the years I've got a few dead drive cases and so on from OWC, but they always made things right. Other places know PCs: OWC knows Macs.

11. psychsplash macrumors newbie

I havent run any benchmarks, but the responsiveness of applications, and even just navigating with finder is so much better. It now performs how I expected my macbook pro to perform. what was I thinking with the 5400 HDD??!!

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

OWC has been great to me for years. Excellent prices, great customer service. You can't go wrong with them. And while Apple prices on RAM have come down, you'll still do better with third party.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ive got a 500GB 5400rpm in mine at the moment. it runs ok, doesnt bother me - i just dont have the funds nor trust in SSDs yet to purchase them, despite the massive speed increases!

14. psychsplash macrumors newbie

I admittedly had the funds to play with and enjoy tinkering, although opening up the macbook pro was much different to opening up my PC case. My 5400 drive has been safely sequestered in case of SSD failure. I'll definitely look into SSD for my next PC build.

15. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

LOVE them - bought HD's and RAM from OWC - worked like a charm so far!

Plus, their "do-it-yourself" tutorials have helped me BIG TIME! I'm damn near a mac genius thanks to those guys:)

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh lucky you. id like to replace 500GB with a 512GB SSD, as i use ALOT of data - so at this stage its certainly not feasible!