Is OWC RAM compatible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by techhead42, May 4, 2011.

1. techhead42 macrumors member

I know that OWC RAM is compatible with AMD radeon HD6970M 1GB GDDR5 but is it compatible with the upgrade AMD radeon HD6970M 2GB GDDR5? I found this quote at the OWC website "Configurable to AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB GDDR5, only at the Apple Online Store".
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, OWC RAM is compatible. The RAM you want to upgrade as nothing to do with the GPU RAM you refer to with "Configurable to AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB GDDR5, only at the Apple Online Store".
    You can't upgrade the RAM of a GPU afterwards.

3. techhead42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I spoke to OWC and they assured me their RAM is compatible with all configurations of the new iMac.
    It just threw me when I read "only at the Apple Online Store", like only apple RAM was compatible with the 2GB GDDR5

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What RAM is compatible with an iMac 2011?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4621

This is not rocket science. The "only available at the Apple Online Store" means that you can only BUY AN UPGRADED MAC at the Apple Store. It doesn't mean that you can't upgrade the memory yourself, for ****'s sake.

5. techhead42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That clears it up. Please forgive the dopey question. I am new to iMacs, it will be my first. It's how us newbies learn.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You're welcome. It's frustrating to see the same questions over and over again, even on the same page of this forum.