Is Parallels More Secure than VirtualBox? Because I noticed U cant Isolate Virtualbox

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by VideoNewbie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

hi all,

i had the opportunity to use parallels a couple weeks ago on a friends computer and found it quite nice but i dont have the budget to buy it now so i am opting for the free virtualbox i have some questions..

on Parallels you have the option of disabling shared folders and completely isolating the virtual pc from your mac

i dont see this same option in VirtualBox? how can i isolate the virtual pc from my mac using virtualbox?

virtualbox seems to be less secure than parallels just by simple observation in that they dont give u this option?

also parallels you are able to turn on shared folders thereby activating the drag n drop feature. is there an option to do this on virtualbox?

2. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

There is no such option because VirtualBox guests are completely isolated from the host (i.e. your mac) anyway.

The only way a VirtualBox guest can access any Mac folders is if you set up shared folders. If you don't, then nothing is shared.

So no, it is not less secure. I don't believe you can drag and drop between environments though. You can only share data between the Guest and Host by putting it in a shared folder.