Is partitioning simple to remove?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Oct 19, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I was thinking about partitioning my HDD and installing windows on it so I could play some PC games like Bioshock, SPORE and other such things. (Oh! And I want to run a PS2 emulator. =( )
    But how is it done? And is it easy to reverse? I mean, I plan on giving the partition 10-20GBs of space (that should be enough, right?), but once I get tired of the games and just need the space I want to get rid of it. Is that easy to do? Or even possible?

Thanks in advance! =D

EDIT: Also, how would you say games like Bioshock would run?
    I have the 17'' widescreen MBP. Processor is 2.5 GHz, the 8600M GT graphics card and 2 GB of RAM.
    Are these specs sufficient to properly run games and windows without yucky slowdown?

2. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Open up bootcamp and it will walk you right through everything. And yes, it is easy to remove, just go through bootcamp again and you can delete the partition.

3. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Awesome! =D

And, how does it run games? Well, or badly? =)

Also, which would you recomend, XP or Vista?
    And do you think 10-20 GB is a suitable partition size?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Depends on which MacBook/Pro you have..

5. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

17'' widescreen MBP. Processor is 2.5 GHz, the 8600M GT graphics card and 2 GB of RAM.
    =(

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Why the sad face?

A lot of PC games only require that much. Look up the system requirements of the games you want to play and you'll find that your specs work really well.

I just added my Vista Ultimate 64-bit partition yesterday and made it 60GB big. After installation, I had 45GB free on the partition, so the OS took about 15GB.

I think you should make your partition at least 30-40GB. I made mine 60GB because I wanted to have a decent amount of room to play with for games and the occasional render in 3d Studio Max.

As for Vista vs. XP, I think you should get Vista for Direct X 10, so you can see the benefits of all the newer games. Vista runs games better than OSX pretty much because of Direct X.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I have the same specs, in a 15". Don't be sad. You're really not missing much with the new MBPs.

You'll want to give XP or Vista more than 10-20gb. It really depends on how many games you want to have. Figure each one will cost you 10gb. The OS will eat 10 also.

Bootcamp is easy to use and will give you the same experience as a regular PC + the ick factor of running windows on a mac.

As for which OS, it's your choice. Vista is better for games because of DirectX 10. You won't need a 64 bit version, since you're not going to use more than 4 gb of RAM. XP is good for gaming and other tasks.

I'd up the RAM sometime later on, but you'd be fine running Vista + Games in bootcamp as is.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03