Is personal hotspot with AT&T free now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 12, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I have a 10GB mobileshare plan. I'd like to get an iPad but get the cheapest option and just stream stuff from my iphone to the ipad, can I do that?

Will iCloud let you upload anything to it, like dropbox, like pdfs?

2. serega macrumors regular

Yes, it's free and you can do anything with it. I use free Tmobiles 200mb and when run out of that I use my personal hotspot on ATT.

3. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Yes on the Hotspot, no on Icloud. Icloud only lets you upload the same stuff you could in the prior generations. Apple based stuff.

4. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow for the longest time it was expensive and an extra fee to tether.

This is great. Does anyone have plex and if so can you stream stuff from iPhone to iPad over a mobile hotspot?

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

6. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I have PLex, but I never tried doing that as my Ipad is always on Wifi, but I dont see why you wouldnt be able to. Its just creating a new wifi network.
    You will be sucking battery on both devices pretty well though and a decent chunk of data I would assume.

7. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I was thinking of storing movies on my iphone and streaming those over, but I guess I can't do that.

Do you have to leave your computer on to stream to your wifi ipad when you're out and about?

8. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I always leave my computer on. I never tested it without it on. But for Plex I run the app on my phone. I know there is a plex website it seems it connects to on my server that pulls up all the data. So not sure if it pulls a copy onto the Plex servers also?

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I switch to 4 line, 10gb plan earlier this year. Stopped paying for ipad access and do hotspot instead. Same with our laptops when traveling.

Awesome.

10. hansokl macrumors regular

I'm assuming this isn't free if you still have unlimited data plan?

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not if you're doing it locally. If you have a Plex Subscription, you can sync content from the Plex Media Server to your iPhone/iPad/Android. If you enable Mobile Media Server on the Plex app on iOS/Android, it can share the synced content with other Plex clients (e.g. tethered iPad) without having to use expensive metered 3G/LTE data. This might be useful, say, during a roadtrip or something.

12. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I am confused. Do you just mean that it will use less data? Like it will compress the files on their server? Because it will most certainly use data.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

No, it wouldn't use data (at least not cellular data).

Basically, when you're at home, you can select videos and sync/copy them to your iPhone if you have a PlexPass subscription. That puts a local offline copy of those videos on your iPhone's internal storage. Now if you enable Mobile Media Server on the iPhone, the iPhone can then act as a "local" Plex server similar to the one you have at home. If you tether your iPad to the iPhone, you will be able to stream the local copy from the iPhone's internal storage instead of having it stream from your home server over the internet. Think of it as being similar to AirPlay.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Correct. I have UDP and can't hot spot. But if I were to drop it and switch to a mobile share plan, hotspot is included in that.

15. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Ahhh, I got you. I didnt realize it copied it to the device. Reading comprehension ownz me!

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

We never used all of our unlimited. The one line with 2gb did go over.

Now with 10gb SHARED, and hotspot - it all works great.

17. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

Basically then if you are with AT&T it's disabled unless you buy another 'sharing' plan from them. It's still one device otherwise.