Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Honestly nobody cares where you live. And unless you tell people who will know anyway?

Take some pictures and post them so we can see.
I will take plenty of shots on vacation coming up. Yes and also a few with my iPhone.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I won’t because I don’t want people to know my location.
Seriously, can you determine the location of that image that MacNut posted above? It's a nice nighttime shot, taking great advantage of the lighting available and the shadows..... I don't see any street signs indicating his specific location at the time he made that shot, or a billboard advertising some company that does business in whatever city he lives....

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Only those who know how and want to know your location at the moment can do so whenever you use Location Services or apps such as Maps, compass, or whenever you connect to the Internet. You can use apps to not disclose your location too. But I doubt that anybody would want to know your location unless you are doing something illegal, or if for whatever reason somebody wants to rob you. By the way, are you a very wealthy person who has a lot of treasures stored at home...like piles of gold bars under the mattress? :)

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Only those who know how and want to know your location at the moment can do so whenever you use Location Services or apps such as Maps, compass, or whenever you connect to the Internet. You, you can use apps to not disclose your location too. But I doubt that anybody would want to know your location unless you are doing something illegal, or if for whatever reason somebody wants to rob you. By the way, are you a very wealthy person who has a lot of treasures stored at home...like piles of gold bars under the mattress? :)
Remember back in 1999 most were afraid of people on the internet? Well I still am. Regardless it gets dark late here and I go to bed early. I will take shots on my vacation but I won’t bring my laptop this time so will have to wait to compare till I get back.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
i have yet to try a camera of any brand or vintage that isn’t fun.

what a weird question.
I believe the OP has some kind of device attachement, or needs some kind of usability quirk to motivate them. Photography isn't about that. The camera is the means to an end, it's the results and partly being there to take the shot. I hope they don't work in a office job.

Reactions: Mark0

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I believe the OP has some kind of device attachement, or needs some kind of usability quirk to motivate them. Photography isn't about that. The camera is the means to an end, it's the results and partly being there to take the shot. I hope they don't work in a office job.
I do!!!! But I can adapt in the workforce which is Windows dominated. Windows has more apps and stuff that simply will not run on a Mac. Besides MsOffice for windows has more apps and features. I love the Mac but hands down windows is better for enterprise work.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Hasselblads (worth thousands or tens of thousands) used to use Polaroid backs to check for exposure and lighting before taking the shot on medium format film. Instax is resurrecting this option.
Likewise there were Polaroid backs made for Nikons, which I used at my first newspaper job, for particularly tricky studio or location lighting setups. The image came out at the same size as a 35mm frame, of course, but we were used to looking at negatives at the time, so checking lighting ratios and exposure on a small image wasn't unusual.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Likewise there were Polaroid backs made for Nikons, which I used at my first newspaper job, for particularly tricky studio or location lighting setups. The image came out at the same size as a 35mm frame, of course, but we were used to looking at negatives at the time, so checking lighting ratios and exposure on a small image wasn't unusual.

Sidetracking I know, but I'd not encountered one of these and it sounds like something I need for my Nikon collection.

Do you remember what camera it fit? Guessing F/F2/F3(since I'm not sure something newer would play nice with one)..

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I used Polaroid backs with a medium-format camera while I was taking a class some years ago, and that was definitely preferable to wasting expensive film when doing a set up in a studio! For another class that I took in using Large Format, again we had Polaroid backs for the sheet film, which I would load in the darkened bathroom at home before going out to shoot whatever our assignment was.... Fun times!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Handheld from an upstairs window in the rain. Artistically a meh shot, fun to take but the key being it is nice and clean from a noise perspective.
20220203-DSC01197.jpg

Last edited:

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I do!!!! But I can adapt in the workforce which is Windows dominated. Windows has more apps and stuff that simply will not run on a Mac. Besides MsOffice for windows has more apps and features. I love the Mac but hands down windows is better for enterprise work.
I think it depends on where you work and what you do so please be careful about generalizations. Our organization of hundreds of software developers, architects and analysts hands down are more heavily Mac-focused than Windows-focused. Office is only a small part of what we do but I've never known anything my Windows brethren can do that I can't. This is one organization among many others where I work which are also heavily Mac focused. Which specific useful features do you find missing from Office 360 that only exist on Windows and that would hamper my ability to collaborate? Obviously, this sub-topic has nothing to do with Photography being fun.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Sidetracking I know, but I'd not encountered one of these and it sounds like something I need for my Nikon collection.

Do you remember what camera it fit? Guessing F/F2/F3(since I'm not sure something newer would play nice with one)..
I was shooting F3s and FM2s at the time, but I remember the Polaroid back was pool equipment, made to fit an F2. It was the Pro Back, made by a guy in NY named Marty Forscher who did camera repairs. Here's a PDF I found about the unit. https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00903/00903.pdf

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think it depends on where you work and what you do so please be careful about generalizations. Our organization of hundreds of software developers, architects and analysts hands down are more heavily Mac-focused than Windows-focused. Office is only a small part of what we do but I've never known anything my Windows brethren can do that I can't. This is one organization among many others where I work which are also heavily Mac focused. Which specific useful features do you find missing from Office 360 that only exist on Windows and that would hamper my ability to collaborate? Obviously, this sub-topic has nothing to do with Photography being fun.
I agree. The whole Mac vs Windows worlds collide thing ended back when Justin Long was doing the Mac vs Windows commercials.

We too are a software company and given the choice most people would use a Mac. The only thing I have come across so far that locks me to Windows for work is that we have some Excel Ninjas who do a lot of VB macros which are disabled on Mac Office. The only other thing is that I wish Pivots and slicers would play nicely on the ipad version of Excel and that would free up space in my backpack and save my spine!

I was talking to a CIO at one of our customers recently. They provide a solution that is run as a service and so nothing is installed locally, all is accessed via the web. As part of their hiring process, their new employees are sent to a portal to request their equipment. His understanding is that over 70% of new hires, given the choice are selecting the 16” MacBook Pro and iPhones over Windows equivalents.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
All these people talking about resolution of an iPhone being better than OP's PowerShot like it's the only consideration.
I've got a 50 y/o Olympus Trip I can get technically-better pictures from than my iPhone SE2, not least because buildings and any other upright erections towards the edge of the frame don't look like they should be structurally condemned.
The iPhone definitely has its rightful place among a photographer's arsenal like a Polaroid back did before it, but there's no substitute for a large sensor, at least APS-C and ideally 35mm, and better glass.
Also don't forget the experience of using a real camera, film or digital, is different to using a phone, and to some (me included) is preferable.
Just IMO.

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
All these people talking about resolution of an iPhone being better than OP's PowerShot like it's the only consideration.
I've got a 50 y/o Olympus Trip I can get technically-better pictures from than my iPhone SE2, not least because buildings and any other upright erections towards the edge of the frame don't look like they should be structurally condemned.
The iPhone definitely has its rightful place among a photographer's arsenal like a Polaroid back did before it, but there's no substitute for a large sensor, at least APS-C and ideally 35mm, and better glass.
Also don't forget the experience of using a real camera, film or digital, is different to using a phone, and to some (me included) is preferable.
Just IMO.
I agree. I tested and compared with at least one shot and Powershot won. Will test more on vacation but majority of shots will be taken on Powershot. Powershot is a great camera and no phones do not replace all cameras, video cameras, voice recorders, and Garmin gps units.

Reactions: MajorFubar

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I reckon that...
- for some, photography is "fun"
- for others, it's "work" (their livelihood)
- and for others, it's "utilitarian" (using camera to record necessary information).

Reactions: Clix Pix

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I agree. I tested and compared with at least one shot and Powershot won. Will test more on vacation but majority of shots will be taken on Powershot. Powershot is a great camera and no phones do not replace all cameras, video cameras, voice recorders, and Garmin gps units.
iPhones have replaced all of those if we are being honest. CarPlay makes a Garmin useless. Unless you are buying a broadcast capable video camera the iPhone beats that too. Most reporters are using iPhones as voice recorders now. Sure if you are a professional you are using a real recording setup with mics and XLR cables running into a drive. So yes, the iPhone can replace most everything you use to carry with you. CD player/walkman point and shoot camera, handicam, voice recorder.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
iPhones have replaced all of those if we are being honest. CarPlay makes a Garmin useless. Unless you are buying a broadcast capable video camera the iPhone beats that too. Most reporters are using iPhones as voice recorders now. Sure if you are a professional you are using a real recording setup with mics and XLR cables running into a drive. So yes, the iPhone can replace most everything you use to carry with you. CD player/walkman point and shoot camera, handicam, voice recorder.
I don’t agree. Garmins work in the mountains which is a place no phone can get a reception. Believe me I have been to plenty of mountain places with no cell reception.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The phones GPS doesn't stop working.
Also Car Play is a nice feature I admit. Since I went economy on my trip the car did not have car play but guess what the Garmin can still work. Car play is in expensive newer cars. Millions lack CarPlay.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Yes but the ability to download maps does in the mountain areas and Colorado has many of them I have been too.
Many navigation apps allow you to download maps for offline use. Google Maps is one of them. Hopefully Apple adds this feature in the future.

I haven’t used a Garmin in years. Are map updates free now, or do you still have to purchase expensive yearly map updates?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.