Is Photoshop Elements 9 a worthwhile upgrade from Elements 6

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DSPalpatine, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DSPalpatine macrumors member

Quick question for the forum- In addition to my day job (university gig), my hobby is photography. I do most of my post-processing with Aperture 3, but I use Photoshop Elements 6 for some re-touching that isn't possible in A3. I was looking at Elements 9 (specifically, the new spot healing brush looks fantastic), but I was wondering if I could get a bit more feedback from people who have upgraded. Any input as to whether to upgrade to 9 or stay with 6 would be appreciated. Also, if there is another program I'm overlooking (Acorn or Pixelmator), I'd love to hear about that as well. If the consensus is that Elements 9 isn't a huge upgrade, I'll probably put the money toward Nik's Silver Efx Pro.

Thanks!

2. wilhelmreems macrumors member

i've found the most worthwhile editing tool in PSE9 is the panorama tool. I do most of my editing/developing in LR3. The touchups in PSE9 are pretty nice, too, and i can fine tune my edits pretty well.

if you do use the panorama tool, just be aware it requires a lot of RAM to have the program automatically process and fill in the gaps at the edge of the photo.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

That damn Adobe! They don't know how to write a proper installer, so Elements 9 and many if not all of their products can NOT be installed on OS X if you have it setup with a case sensitive file system.

4. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I personally like the update; there's not a lot of new features I've run into though. The UI is nicer; but also takes some getting used to. The trash, copy, etc icons moved from the top to the bottom of the layers..so that takes just some getting used to. I mostly use it for the spot healing brush too. I'm not sure how much better it is compared to 6, but I think it works really nice. It still takes forever to startup...sometimes can be a little laggy on my MBP. (but I don't have amazing specs) Of course, Adobe is known for having bloated apps anyway...

Now I'm rambling. So yes- I think it's worth it....it's got some great new features, but in some ways it's also the same compared to 6.