Is photoshop realy worth that price?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by safeas, May 15, 2007.

1. safeas macrumors newbie

Why the hell is photoshop much more here in the uk? dont get it!! why cant there be one universal price?

Also will the US version work in uk?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you're in business, then it's cheap. I'm sick of hearing people moan about the price of it. If you can't afford it, ask yourself whether it's worth upgrading or if you're making enough money with this application.

There's always Elements for those who don't need to work in 16bit LaB or produce tri-tones. ;)

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

Um I'm in business in the UK and even I think that the price is high especially for the packages with the other programs. I could fly to the US, buy the product come back and pay the VAT (which I'd claim back anyways) and still save money over what it costs in the UK.

4. Turkish macrumors 6502

High compared to what?

Something isn't necesarrily priced too high just because it's more than you want to spend.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Guy has a market stall - selling Bananas. First guy comes up "Banana please" - "Sure - that's 20p please". Bloke walks away happy.

Next guy comes up, "Banana please" - "Sure - that's 40p please" - "But his was only 20p!!" - "Yeah - you're like, from England...so I have to rip you off"

40p is too high.

Levig's thinking along the right lines...go find the first guy and buy his Banana for 25p - you've still saved 15p.

Doug

6. Turkish macrumors 6502

The banana stand is in one place in your scenario. Not so with the Adobe scenario.

7. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

there's like a £200 difference! buy from a US seller...

I didn't know this, I've just bought Design Premium, cost £1700 or there abouts, but I made that back soon enough - it's an essential tool of the trade.

8. LeviG macrumors 65816

it doesnt cost any different to produce the disk for the uk market so the premium the UK gets just because we have a better economy is wrong, I understand about cost of importing, which is fine stick a bit on for that but importing it doesnt cost the same as the software!.

Think about it this way if you're american and moved to the uk would you want to pay $1500 for a $750 (which you know it is from living in america) item even if you are getting paid the UK rate.

Also take into account downloading software, if you download the adobe product (which most likely comes from a us server) why is the price still higher, I could understand adding VAT (maybe even an extra 10% due to paperwork etc) due to the uk market but its not like the software is being sent to the uk by plane or boat.

As to buying the software (which I can happily afford), I begrudge buying something and being ripped off when anyone with an iota of common sense knows the price isn't really that high, it isnt just Adobe, its M$ too £400 for a $250 os, thats just wrong.
    And until theres a real competitor the prices are just going to keep going up, iirc the latest photoshop etc is more expensive than the last one on release.

9. shecky Guest

shecky

i now get CS3 at ridiculously cheap faculty pricing (better than EDU pricing), but in the past i have always bought it at full retail. its the cost of doing business. if you do not want to pay the cost, then don't be in that business.

10. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

There are CS3 and CS3 extended versions of Photoshop.

CS3 normal is the same as CS2 was, maybe a fraction more, this could be due to the fact CS3 was re-structured to run nativley on Intel based Macs - could be higher costs for Adobe to produce?

Discs and manuals are shipped, made and printed from/in Dublin for the UK markets.

It's a good point though - why do we get had off as opposed to the american market?

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

This seems to be the case on a lot of things. I wonder why that is? Is there some huge tax to do business in the UK that doesn't exist here in the US or something?

12. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

With stronger competition, Adobe's prices would be lower.

Hey, China! Hello, India!

Get your programmers after the Adobe megalith.

13. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I love this statement! (I'm not being sarcastic!). So true!

14. iGav macrumors G3

I'm less concerned about the price, rather more Adobe's over complication of things.

Things started going wrong when they introduced CS to counter Macromedia's MX Suite, but now... :rolleyes:

Trouble is... so firmly entrenched is it, that it's the only app that can truly lay claim to being termed the industry standard.

15. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

So you're willing to pay $400 more than the US price for essential software... what would the price difference have to be before you felt you were being ripped off?:rolleyes:

16. Queso macrumors G4

Speaking as someone who regularly gets to spend up to £100k of other people's money on software, the price of Photoshop is anything but expensive. If you want it, pay for it. Otherwise get Elements or even Gimp.

It's not like you don't have choices.

17. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i have elements, but i wish i had CS3 but i dont need CS3

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you are willing to pay the price it is worth it, if you are not, it isn't.

The value of any given product is determined by whether people are willing to buy it or not at a certain price.

19. Since '76 macrumors member

isn't health care included with the UK version?

Seriously, it will be interesting when there is overseas options for software like there is with manufactured goods.

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Why not just get someone to buy it for you in America and post it over?

I buy all my electronic equipment from the USofA and airmail it to my front door for half the price it would cost me in Australia

21. shecky Guest

shecky

no, i live in the US so i could care less what it costs elsewhere. i agree the UK/europe is getting nailed on the price, and i say deal with it or use other software or go into a business where you do not need adobe software, or move to the US and buy it here. bitching and moaning about it and then buying it anyway is certainly not helping anyone.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If nothing else, a quick survey of the software used in different trades and professions should pretty quickly erase the notion that Adobe software is too expensive :D

23. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

there should be health care included if your running Windows - the stress caused by it is astronomical!

24. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. For a product orientated at a pro market it's actually cheap.

25. marshallld macrumors newbie

It seems to me that on a very board range of products the price in the UK is the same, or nearly so, number of £ as the price in the US is $. Something that costs $10 in NYC will cost £10 in London. I've notice this on everything from magazine prices, to shirts to computers and many many more items. It isn't a recent thing either, I've noticed it over the past 20 years. Though the stronger than usual £ to $ exchange rate just makes the difference bigger lately.