Is pink normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rjohnny, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Rjohnny macrumors newbie

I just would like to know if a pink screen is normal, it is the most apparent under low brightness but still apparent on high brightness? Is this the hue it should be for the new color temperature?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes pink is fine. It is the new white for the iPad 3. Nothing to worry about.

Enjoy.

3. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Quite frankly, I prefer it to the cool blue-ish screen hue. On my macs I use F.lux which removes the cold, blue-ish hue, and gives the screen a slight (depends on the setting) orange/pink hue. It is much more comfortable to look at a slightly warmer calibrated screen, and my eyes doesn't get tired in the same way as before.
    WFIW..

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Nonsense. Don't listen to this. Some screens are pink, others are not. It's a lottery. If it bugs you, exchange it.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's normal. If it does bother you then I would just go exchange it.

6. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Take it to the Apple store, compare it to the others and see how you feel. If you're not happy then exchange it. My first one was a little pink I felt the same, thinking it could be OK. Its only when I went to Apple i realised how bad it was. My replacement is near perfect white with only a tiny hint of warm pink which I too prefer over the bluish hues that ruin skin tones in photos.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So then, I was right and it is normal. :p

8. seadragon Contributor

The screen should be WHITE when displaying a white screen. Not pink, green, red or any other color. The new screens are very inconsistent.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If inconsistent is the new normal, then, yes, pink is normal. So is plaid, polka dot, striped...any screen issue is now ok.

10. Rjohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys , I was just curious because it certainly is pinkish

11. number84 macrumors 6502

These screens are very strange. Mine is only pink when in my car. In my house under natural and artificial light it looks normal.

12. Rjohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you when I use it under natural light it really shines a pink screen

13. superdudeo macrumors regular

Yep, got mine today and exactly the same. Pink outside, fine inside. Think i'll return and purchase in 6 months when these issues have been sorted out. Mines a week 12.

14. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

If you wanted a real answer lol. Pink is not normal. I finally got an iPad that is not yellow or pink.

15. artgalgenius macrumors member

Mine did the same thing today! It was a bit warm from being in the car all day but this evening the pink is gone. Weird.

16. David Menzel macrumors member

The screen should be white when displaying a white screen and black when displaying a black screen in a dark rooms. My mother received her new iPad on friday and got a very nice display. Especially when I compare her device with my iPad. (My display shows some minor red/light pink areas in the corners.)

= pink is not normal!

17. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

My 3rd (!) unit has an all-over pinkish tint. I've been living with it 10 days thinking perhaps I'd grow used to it or the pink would fade since at least it is uniform. Yesterday I bought my dad a new iPad 2 at Best Buy. When I opened it up to set it up for him and compared its screen to my new iPad, it was immediately obvious that his iPad 2 screen is brighter and does not have the pink tint. I showed both screens to my mom who was unaware of my travails and she immediately said "your screen is dim and the color is off - you need to return it!". I think I am done with new iPad. Planning on returning it early this week and buying another iPad 2 (my husband took mine when I upgraded) and waiting for 4th generation to upgrade. Too many issues!!!:mad:
    I'm sure I will be downgraded for posting this. All I can say is it's really lame if you feel threatened by others' dismay with the lack of QC on 3rd generation iPads. FWIW I'm a longtime Apple fan and satisfied owner of many Apple products over the last 20 years. I have never returned or exchanged an Apple product before the new iPad.

18. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Mine had the pink hue. I returned it and asked for a refund. I'll wait a while before ordering one online, and if the one I get has a not–so–great display too, I'll return it and simply buy an iPad 2.

19. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I'm pretty happy with the ipad I just bought. It is suppose to be a gift for my soon to be wife, who is a professional photographer. She would like to use it with here work...so I want to make sure the screen is perfect. How does the following attached pic look? I know the limitations of an iphone camera...and I am not trying to be OCD. She just has an eye for quality pictures/screen.

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. nicoplanet, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

Don't want to cause any trouble, but regarding your screen, it looks like a typical iPad 3 screen.

Yellow/dark on the top left area. Don't know if it's related to the picture or if it look the same in real life, but the lower part is dark/shaded too... Finally, it seems there is a white spot in the center of the display: same in real life or picture-related?

Most important, is the impression you have looking at it in real life: if it looks great, then, it's great... :)

Edit: if you own a black iPhone, I think the white spot is not an issue, but the reflection of the Apple logo on the back of your phone :D

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That's close to how mine looks. And it gets worse or better depending on ambient lighting.

I'm still debating whether or not to take mine into the Apple store. If I'm not looking at something where the background is predominantly white, I don't notice the pink at all. But I do a lot of reading and web browsing, both of which usually involve predominantly white backgrounds ...

22. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

If its a typical screen there is nothing one can do, right? I am not looking to return 15 ipads (like some claim to do), so that I find the "perfect" screen.

The photo, like many on here I believe, over exaggerates the top and bottom areas. Yes there may be a slight tent at the top or bottom, and I mean slight, depending on how you are looking at it. Rotating the ipad a fraction of a degree shifts the tent to a different part of the screen.

I do have a black 4s, and the white spot is not there in real life.

I appreciate all the advice.

23. nicoplanet, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

Right.

There are probably no perfect iPad (AKA uniform panel). I haven't see any yet. But a lot of people are happy with their iPad 3rd gen, and don't mind or see screen variations. So, if you want to be happy with these 3rd generation devices, you should not be too demanding... This is mass production and definitely not a high-end class device. :(

For information, this is a picture of my own iPad 3rd gen: still on the fence about returning it... The display is not top notch.

iPad is a frustrating device this year.

Attached Files:

24. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Well since your fiance Is a Pro Photographer a perfect white screen and color balance should be something to be considered.