Is PocketSurfer2 just a kinky name or the device I've been searching for?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by a456, Oct 22, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

At the weekend I accidentally :eek: caught a product demonstration on one of the UK freeview shopping channels. Now although I would love an iPhone, I simply cannot justify the tariff when my typical monthly mobile bill is one or two pounds a month (with Virgin Mobile). However, I do have one of those modern lifestyles where I am highly reliant on email and also freelance. And end up having days that would be better spent at the beach with the kids, but where I stay in not because I have work but because I am waiting for mail. So this product grabbed my attention:

[​IMG]

Not for its design, although I don't think it looks bad, but because of its price and functionality. Apparently using the mobile GPRS signal it's much faster than even 3G, giving load times of about seven seconds on a typical website. It also comes with 20 hrs of websurfing for the £179.99 price tag, but you can go large for £5.99 and have unlimited surfing. You then pay £39.95 in subsequent years for 20 hrs (and once again can go large for the same price). See http://www.pocketsurfer.co.uk/htm/Free%20Airtime.htm. I know that the software will not be up to the Apple standard, but this is one machine that has got me tempted - so if any one has got their hands on one in real life, I'd really like to know what they are like. It after all has the potential to be great for my suntan in the summer.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's 20 hrs per month and £5.99 extra/per month if you want unlimited data.

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Just do what I'm doing - buy an iPhone, and unlock it.

Don't even entertain O2's tariffs, and Apple still get £269 in their pocket.

3. a456 thread starter macrumors 6502a

a456

Unlocking phones is not really me, I need something that's simple. And for my requirements an unlocked iPhone is still going to be more expensive and more inconvenient - especially if I have to go to cafes all the time for WiFi.