Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maskov1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hi, I'm going to UK for one week. I would like to buy macbook pro 15" 2.8ghz 4gb ram but with 500gb 7200rpm, antiglare display, applecare. Also I am student of Institute of Technology in Brno (Czech republic) so I have ISIC card with student privilegs (x% of discount).

Apple has student online store where I am able to order this configuration. But I have to pay with credit card. I have family in UK, so I will give them money and they will pay for me that macbook pro. But in order invoice will be their name, so I won't be able to use student discount (also I don't know how to prove that I am student when I use online store).

Secont possibility is to buy macbook pro in local store in Manchester. MBP 15" + Apple care I think is possible to buy local, but I don't know if they can order me specific configuration so I will be able to use student ISIC card.

Bad thing is, I have only one week for that.

Thanks for your time, please give me advice.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure you can order custom made ones in the applestores however I think that you'll have to wait a few weeks for the product to be made and shipped in for you
signature_BasicSmile.jpg

trombonerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
The local apple stores only offer stock configurations. They are able to upgrade memory, but that is the extent of customization in the store.

maskov1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hmm so, I will have to buy through online store. Do you think can I use student discount in education store? I don't know how to prove that I am student. Also can you tell me apple care worldwide protection will be on my family's friend name? Or that works otherwise.

Thanks again :)

trombonerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
You can use your student discount in the online store. Go to store.apple.com. There's a link at the bottom for the ed store. The AppleCare is linked to the computer not to any person.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Hmm so, I will have to buy through online store. Do you think can I use student discount in education store? I don't know how to prove that I am student. Also can you tell me apple care worldwide protection will be on my family's friend name? Or that works otherwise.

Thanks again :)

You can use the discount. I am pretty sure Apple doesn't check too often because of all the people bragging about (committing fraud) get un-owed discounts on their mac by pretending they are students.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
I've seen them carry both matte and glossy displays with the various stock configurations. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Don't worry about upgrading the ram and hdd through apple...save yourself some money and do that yourself.

maskov1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I don't even think about 8gb ram... but 7200rpm I think will be great (256gb ssd of course is so expensive)

But what about glossy vs antiglare. I have read many topics about this, glossy has better colors, looks better but outside is better to have antiglare.

Am I right?

PS: now I am thinking about standart configuration... or maybe another version

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I don't even think about 8gb ram... but 7200rpm I think will be great (256gb ssd of course is so expensive)

But what about glossy vs antiglare. I have read many topics about this, glossy has better colors, looks better but outside is better to have antiglare.

Am I right?

PS: now I am thinking about standart configuration... or maybe another version
You need to look at glossy vs antiglare in person. I'd recommend you go into the Apple store to compare the screens. I personally like antiglare because I think it's easier on the eyes.

Also, I think that the MBP looks better with the antiglare/silver bezel than with the glossy/black bezel. But that's just me.

maskov1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
About AppleCare.. is possible to buy and use applecare (after some period of time) for used macbook?
That's for sure :)

EDIT: ohh I've found that: "For up to three years from your computer’s original purchase date"

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I think they'll only allow RAM upgrades to you in store...Order it online and you'll be fine...thats what I did for a 17inch MBP

ps- i think you should wait for january end...there are rumors that the whole notebook line will be updated with better processors!

maskov1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Sure I will wait for 26th January.. I am going to be in UK around June/July so macbook upgrade is promissing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.