Is possible to reduce wifi power ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Ubik22, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ubik22 macrumors newbie

I have macbook pro. I'm near router, so such high power wifi is not needed. I have field meter, so numbers are high.
    I found that under windows (boot camp) no problem to reduce power of Broadcom Wifi to 25% ... I think about 1-5% will be great for me, but under OSX Mavericks I can't find any tweak to modify maximum power of wifi.
    Maybe any third party software to do that ?
    Please help.

Thank You.
    /Tomek

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Reducing power will likely reduce the speed of your connection with a 802.11 network.

3. Ubik22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree

Thank You, but I'm looking for solution for lowering wifi power (radiation) in my macbook under OSX.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

While I don't know how to do it, I would suggest it must be possible for the simple reason the products are sold in both the USA and Europe. There are different Technical requirements for the wifi power levels used in the two areas. On the 2.4 band for example European requirements are less than half what is allowed in the USA.

5. G0meZ macrumors regular

i don't understand why you're using wifi if your close to the router in the first place...can't you just go with ethernet?

and would you mind elaborating on the field meter, i'm interested in these...

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you use a mobile phone the rads( which you can Google) are way lower than ambient wifi signals.

Look at it this way, even if you did not have a mobile phone capable of wifi, you will walk through areas where you pass strong signals.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

8. Ubik22, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

Ubik22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You nebo1ss for this info. I have EU version, but radiation still too high for long work with.
    I work at home, different location cable Lan is not handy, same as iMac when You want to work in bed, chair, other chair, table etc.. It about 2-7meters from router. I did some measurments, and I have other machines, where wifi power is maximum reduced. No any important speed loss, if any. One machine which I can't force to work with lower level of power is my new macbook under OSX.
    Other thing: profile of radiation is not user friendly, because most of emision is directed to user head side (back side of macbook is all-metal, so it work as reflector, I think). For egzaple my vaio svs13 directs wifi about 70% signal backside and almost none to knees and small amount to head. I have wery good wifi response, and low radiation with this.

So wifi is my only concern about macbook. I like osx too - I'am new in mac side of power and I'am deligted how good it is ... after all my life with windows.

Thank you for responses. I almost miss great answer of ElectronGuru, I try this at home, now I'm in route witm iPad of my wife.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Interesting thread, sorry I have nothing to offer you OP in terms of help but I have to say in all my years of computing (over 15 years) I've never heard anyone complain that the wifi is too powerful and want to turn it down. It's usually the case that people need a stronger signal. Hmm.