Is ProCare worth the $99

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Simple Living, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

Is the privilege of being bumped to the front of the line worth $99?
    Is it good for anything else, other than when I walk in needing repairs?
    What if I walk in and a dozen people have ProCare? Who goes first?

I'm not sure this is a value. What do you guys think of ProCare?

ETA: I'm about to buy my first Mac and want to know if this is a good buy. I don't mean for it to sound cynical or anything like that. I'm seriously wondering if I should get it.

2. je1ani macrumors 6502

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

If you're asking, "Will it get me laid?" then yes.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've never bothered with it, personally, even for laptops. Live life on the edge, man!

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Don't bother. In my experience Apple Stores are too busy to walk in and get service anyway, so I always make an appointment. On the other hand I've never had an Apple just outright die on me so I can always afford to wait a couple days.

6. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought. They aren't really selling "ProCare" and "Get in line ahead of everyone else" with this. What they're really selling is the image that you're important and that, regardless of anyone else, you matter most.

You can bet a copywriter is getting a bonus check periodically based on how many ProCare Memberships his copy sells.

I just had to make sure I was understanding what they were selling. Jump to the front of the line privileges is ridiculous.

7. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Well, first keep in mind it's $99 a year, not $10k.

I've used "Next in line, first on bench" only once. At that time, genius bar appointments were booking two DAYS out. I was put next in line, about five minutes.

Also, more genius bar appointment slots are available to procare members. The free setup, backup consultation and yearly tune-up are worth nothing to me, but who can say what that's worth to someone a little less technical.

$99 to skip a two day wait? No problem.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

It's a great idea for those who think they might have lots of questions, new mac users and impatient types. Used once and it's already paid for itself (kind of like AppleCare).

Use it to get advanced tutoring, priority everything and general preferential treatment.

Now, if you're a long time mac user who can take your own machine apart...it might not be a good buy. For everyone else, I love it.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I don't think you need it, but you should be aware that large segments of the working public have more money than time and they use their computers to make that money. Just think of the $99 as a bonus you get for not being in that situation.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also, even if you decide to get it, don't buy it until you need it. Should there be some 3-day wait and you just have to get in today, then maybe it's worth the $99. You get the same privs if you've just bought it as you do if it's 364 days into your year.

And, really, $99 is dirt cheap to get your keyboard cleaned annually, no? I mean, compressed air cans are wicked expensive, and each cleaning goes through almost 1/20 of a can.
    This used to be true, when One-on-One was bundled in. Now that it's a separate $99/year, ProCare has lost one of its most valuable (to many) pieces.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Good point.

Lame, didn't know that. Guess I need to brush up a bit.

12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

As a Procare OWNER here is my opinion

My parents bought procare (which means I got procare because it covers three computers) when they put a mini-cd into their brand new imac trying to install some software. At the local apple store the appointment time was booked for 2 days. So they went in and were put on the cancellation list and seen in 5-10 minutes. However, the beauty of procare was not the waiting around for a cancellation (aka no-show of appt.) but the faster return time of the imac. With procare they got bumped to the front of the repair line and had the computer back in 2 business days which was compared to 10 business days without procare. This WAS worth the money for my parents. Also, my parents have one-to-one and procare and whenever they have a quick technical support question now a lot of the geniuses know them and will just answer it for them. But they still go to all of their weekly sessions for one-to-one. Lastly, when they bought their computers they transferred all their music into itunes (not hard for most people but for computer illiterate it was) onto the new one for free. Hope it helps.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm...

What Mac software comes on mini CDs?

14. f1 macrumors 6502

Wow which apple store do u go to?? Standard turn around time is 10 days??? My Local apple store has standard turn around time of 48 hours, and 3 hour turnaround time for pro care members, if all parts are in stock. I would recommend going to your local apple store and ask about their turnaround time, if its ten days in your area i would definitely recommend getting pro care. If its 48 hours like my local store than don't bother, unless you run a business and CANNOT afford to be without your computer.

15. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

It is absolutely worth it!

If you ever have a problem with your mac, and your somewhere near the local apple store, all you have to do is go on your computer and make a reservation- up to 14 days in advance; this is the cutting the line part. Apple stores are insanely busy, especially the genius bar. ProCare has lessons, tune ups, and other benefits, too.

It was definitely worth it for me, they've fixed computers of mine a bunch of times.

It's not a big investment, but you'll be sorry if your computer breaks and you can't get an appointment.

16. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

My mother received a digital picture keychain which had software on a mini-cd that said it was mac compatible and to put the cd in the mac. My parents not knowing that the imac slot loading drives cannot take these cds got the cd stuck in the drive and the drive had to be removed and taken apart to get the cd out. Lesson: Do not put a mini-cd into an imac.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Sneaky POS company.

My parents called a few years ago to ask about mini-CDs. Thank god they did.

On the other hand, if the Wii can handle full size and mini DVDs, why can't Apple figure out how to?