Is Push removed from 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caris, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Sorry if this has been asked loads before but i done a quick search and I'm confused.

Is Push removed from 2.1 or was it just removed from some of the Beta's for bug fixes etc? I hope when i update my iPhone tomorrow i still have push :(

Matthew.

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

That was never the issue. You will still have push email. That was never removed.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

push notifications for apps was removed from betas. all existing features will still be there

4. frolo macrumors newbie

Push email should still be there but the push functionality for 3rd party apps doesn't look like it'll be delivered in 2.1.

5. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Oh right! i was thinking of something totally different, can someone give me a example of Push in a app? Not sure 100% what it is.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Best current example is: SMS.

You don't need the application to be running in order to receive SMS messages. As soon as you get it, the iPhone pops up with an alert (and sound) that tells you that you received an SMS message. It also updates the number next to the SMS application icon.

Another example is: AIM

If AIM had push, you could log into AIM through the application, then press the home button and do other stuff. When you receive a message, an alert, sound, and badge (white number in red circle next the application) will pop up telling you that you received a message (most likely it will show a small portion of the message and the person that sent it).

Currently, you can only receive AIM messages if you are running the AIM application. AIM, Palringo, and MobileChat have kind of made up for this by keeping you logged on their server even after you quit the program. They then store all received messages until you open the program again. Once you do, you receive all the messages that were sent while you weren't in the application.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

AOL IM -

Currently - When it is running, it can receive instant messages. When it is closed, nothing gets to the phone until you open the app again.

With Push - Someone sends you an IM while AIM is closed. Just like with text-messages, you'd get a sound alert and a red dot on the AIM application. You can open it and get your IM, even though the app was closed when it was sent.

= = = = = = = = =

So for that example, AIM could be made to work just like e-mail or the text-messge application. Currently, it is not like either of those.