Is putting new IMac to sleep often bad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jae Hokes, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jae Hokes macrumors regular

I turn my imac on in the morning and whenever im not using it i put it to sleep could be 1 to 7 times a day and every nught i shut it down completely - is that bad?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not at all. it's perfectly fine, so don't worry!

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As has been discussed here a number of times, no, it's perfectly normal to put the machine to sleep when not in use - in fact Apple recommend it. On the other hand, providing the machine is not going to be unused for a considerable time, turning it off completely can cause more wear and tear on various components such as the smoothing capacitors in the power supply.

4. lavino macrumors member

On the other hand... putting it to full 100% use 7 times a day is probably way more harmful to your machine ;)

5. dduggan macrumors newbie

I believe I'm correct in saying that one of the most stressful times for computer electronics, is when they'er turned on from cold.

So putting it to sleep is certainly better for it than shuting it down, and turning it back on constantly.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That's pretty much what I do. I use sleep mode several times a day and shut down at night for a fresh reboot in the morning. Been doing this for years. Nothing to worry about.

7. jkmags macrumors member

I agree, putting your system to sleep has worked well for myself with my iMac. I only reboot when needed, currently my uptime is a little over 10 days with only putting the system to sleep when not in use.

I would never do this with my Windows system as I had some issues bringing it back up when i had Vista, though Windows 7 may be better now.

John

8. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I've not been shutting down computers (Windows or Mac) for some time now. I don't know about the wear'n'tear. What I love it being able to just get straight back to work.

My only issue is that my external HDD that I use for Time Machine backups regularly wakes my iMac up straight after having gone to sleep. So I have to often put it sleep twice. Naughty iMac, getting up after I've told it to go to bed. :D

9. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Lololol ^ but i dont keep my external hard drive plugged in so it doesnt burn out...does that make sense or sound stupid?

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have both a 24" iMac and a mini, and we almost never power them down. Usually we power down no more than once a month, and that is when we are running the vacuum cleaner in the room. We also power down when we will be gone for more than a few days. We've never had an issue with either machine.

11. jdalbert macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.545 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Out of curiosity, why do you power down when using the vacuum? Dust issues?

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

dust and static electricity.

13. sofasurfer macrumors member

Quick question...when you put the iMac into sleep mode do programs such as uTorrent still run?

14. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

It should be fine but ...

Show the machine some compassion and restart it once in a while, that will keep it in tip top condition for many various reasons, restarting takes no time at all, there is barley any waiting so let it restart and you should be fine.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no need. Your hard drives will spin down when not in use. They won't burn out simply by being plugged in.
    No. In sleep mode, no apps run.
    Sleep mode is fine and causes no wear on the system. Restarting is not required to keep your Mac in good condition. Pretty much the only time you need to restart is when Software Update requires it.