Is Radeon 4870 about to be replaced at Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by akadmon, Oct 31, 2009.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

I'm thinking about buying the Apple version of the 4870 for my MP 1,1 (no, I don't want to mess around with flashing a PC version of the 4890, as some of you would undoubtedly suggest). I notice that the shipping time in the Apple online store is 7-10 days. Is this normal? If not, what's the likelihood of Apple replacing the 4870 with their own version of the 4890 in the near future? I have 3 weeks of AppleCare left and I want to do the upgrade before AC runs out.

Another question: would I be able to run the 4870 and my original 7300GT together, or does the 4870 leave no power cables left for the second card?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Apple will not do 4890.
    7-10 days is normal.
    7300 does not require power cables. So the answer would be yes.

You can flash 4870's too. If you find the right model, bam, 200$ saved, double the video ram, still works as 100% apple card.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Phil Schiller has said that Apple will make no more product upgrades this years.

I believe that all 4870 cards need two PCIe power cables and Mac Pros have only two of those.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I could see a 5xxx series, but not until a new mac pro is announced.

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh good, so this means I can have 4 screens running side by side. Or not side by side, for that matter, if the mood strikes me :)

BTW, earlier tonight I went to the Apple Store in Salem (NH, not MA) and it was positively frightening! :eek: I've never seen the place this empty, ever. I don't know if this is because it's Halloween, or because of Windows 7 driving customers in droves to dell and hp dot com. I rather hope it's the former. Though, when you think about it, the latter might not be so bad after all, especially if it scares the bejusus out of Apple and makes them skip all the pointless point upgrades to give us what we really slobber for: OS XXX. But I digress.

Anyways, the few employees that were there were polishing the screens on the all-of-a-sudden oddly plentiful (and oh so lonely!) MacBooks and iMacs. I went up to the Genius bar (had an appointment) and, after pondering for a minute which seat to take (none were taken), I sat in the the third one from the left (which also happened to be third from the right) and told the girl genius (who was wearing k9 extensions, btw) that I was there for the express purpose of obtaining information on upgrading my MP 1,1 with the 4870. You should have seen the look she gave me... I swear it was as though I just threw a 16 oz cup of luke warm coffee, brewed with Starbucks holy water (TM), in her face. Thankfully, she recovered rather quickly and proceeded to tell me that she was not at liberty to say anything on the subject, on account of Apple not having tested such a setup. I pleaded with her tearfully (OK, that's a bit of a stretch) that online forums (including Apple's own) are full of anecdotal evidence implying that such a feat can indeed be accomplished. All to no avail :( Then I came home and ordered the damn thing online!!!

6. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I (think) I will.

I'd like to say at this point, as Leo LaPorte would say, Screw you, Apple!, but I really really can't, seeing that it's actually Apple that's screwing me after all, not once, but twice.