Is RAM described as "for Apple Notebooks" Really any different?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CEH, Oct 12, 2011.

1. CEH macrumors newbie

Trying to beef up an old MacBook Pro 3,1 with its max RAM so I can install Lion and actually use it. See that there are these two options for G.Skill RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL4D-4GBSQ $49.95
    http://204.14.213.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231154
    Cas Latency 4
    Timing 4-4-4-12
    Voltage 1.8V
    Dual Channel Kit
    Heat Spreader No

and

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory For Apple Notebook Model FA-5300CL5D-4GBSQ $59.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231160
    Type: 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Compatibility:For Apple Notebook
    Cas Latency:5
    Timing:5-5-5-15
    Voltage:1.8V
    Heat Spreader:No

Now I am not that savvy when it comes to this stuff but I do not see why I would get the more expensive version. The latency is higher (which is bad correct?). Plus it is more cash. Can anyone tell me why I would need to get the one that says it is for Apple, what makes it specifically for apple?

Thanks!!
    CEH

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

nope its the same RAM they add that MAC Ram sticker to make suckers out of people

3. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

But there is that difference in the "Cas Latency 4, Timing 4-4-4-12" which is different from the "non-apple" option. What does that mean and does it make it non-compatable with my MacbookPro?

Thanks so much!!

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No that is just a setting if the CPU doesn't like it will just switch back to the slower 5 latency.
    The cas of 5 is the default standard but cas 4 should work fine and is in theory at least faster. Memory speeds only translate in hardly noticeable speed differences in any meaningful benchmark.
    Just get what ever is cheapest and forget about an for Apple Sticker.

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

it's very different from "non-Apple RAM," it's much more expensive. but other than that, they're the same RAM chips...

6. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

Right on guys! Thanks so much. You just saved me $10!
    I went ahead and bought that first one I described.

I also bought 16 GB of RAM for the new iMac I just bought. I think the total bill was like $147 for that. Apple wanted to charge me something like $600 for the same thing!

CRAZY!!!

Thanks again,
    CEH

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Doesn't the iMac use laptop memory? The price you are giving us is much more in line with RAM prices for desktop memory...

Edit: Nvm, it was 4x4gb right?

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

There could be a 'difference' between the two.

In the Apple version the modules could be lot matched, where the non Apple version they may or not be lot matched it is up to the 'luck of the draw' when they pull parts.

I used to 'lot match' ram modules when I bought them in person from places like CompUSA, Best Buy, and Circuit City.

What you are doing is insuring that both modules were made to the same spec, but more importantly in the same lot.

Did it yield any benefit?

It's possible there is a variance in same modules from different lots, though I doubt most would see it.

I will say that if I am populating a computer with RAM and it is dual channel, I still do the lot matching. But since I do it myself at point of purchase, I don't pay a premium.

9. CEH thread starter macrumors newbie

Snaky69-yes it was 4x4gb, you got it.

harcosparky-how would I know it was lot matched? Look at serial numbers or something?

ceh

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Funny you should mention lot matched… I bought 3 packs of 8GB (2x4GB kits) two from Amazon and one from NewEgg. They came and I checked their serial numbers and to my surprise the 3 packs from 2 different stores had sequential serial numbers.

Anyways I don't really care if RAM come matched or not. That's like trying to repainting your house. You either repaint the whole room or live with the fact that whatever you repaint will be slightly different from everything else.