Is "redirector.gvt1.com" a sign of virus

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by pjny, Jul 11, 2016.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have littlesnitch and saw it is attempting to connect to "redirector.gvt1.com" using GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon via ksfetch. Is this malware or virus? I checked chrome extensions and didn't find anything suspicious. I only have 2 extensions that I downloaded manually.

Should I be worried? Thanks. I see only instructions for removing it from PC.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was concerned since a google search of this address led to a dozen or so sites that show how to remove malware and viruses that attempt to access this address.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+redirector.gvt1.com

Are these fake results scams to make you install shady software?

Thanks. I was worried.

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ran Malwarebytes and it did not find anything. I am confused if the search results on google regarding clearing your computer of this link are setup to create a real infection similar to mackeeper etc.

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. All those results are BS sites trying to get you to use their anti virus or "scanning" software. This process is nothing more that Google's auto software updater, and assuming you have installed Chrome, it is totally legit and there is no need to remove it.