Is redoing the thermal paste worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by !!!, Sep 11, 2016.

1. !!! macrumors 6502

Hello, I currently have a 2011 Mac mini, and after installing an SSD, I'm wondering if putting new thermal paste on is a good idea? If it is, how did you get the old thermal paste off?

2. Altis macrumors 68020

I would only recommend it if you're having temperature issues with the CPU.

When I did it, I removed the CPU heat sink and wiped the CPU top with a cloth. I then did it again with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Do the same to the heat sink side, then apply the new stuff and put it back together.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Considering how fragile some of the connectors are, you have some risk every time you go inside one of these things. Many people here thought they were being careful with a SSD/HDD install but still broke a connector anyway.

So I wouldn't go inside the Mini to fix something that ain't broke. I agree with @Altis... unless you are having temp problems, don't do it.

4. grcar Suspended

grcar

5. oldtime macrumors regular

What would you guys diagnose as "temp problems"? My 2011 runs pretty hot, but it doesn't quite seem in dire need of a fix just yet...

6. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Absolutely worth it. I have a 2012 i7 (2.6) Mini Server that runs headless with 2 attached Drobos.

I have scripts that run Handbrake on the ATV3 preset, tag and copy into my iTunes library. Pre Arctic Silver, I would throttle at 99C after 2 minutes. Post Arctic Silver, I hit 97C and never throttle.

Ambient temp is ~76F, the Mini is on a mStand from Rain Design to ensure airflow.