Is refurbished MB a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Raje, May 18, 2010.

1. Raje macrumors member

I am considering getting the refurbished MB with the 9400m, but I have a few questions.

Is $759 a good price when compared to the current offerings?

I don't do anything intensive a little photoshop and stuff here and there and maybe sims every once in a while. I don't believe I would benefit much from the 320m. Correct?

Is the plastic good quality or would aluminum MBP be a much wiser investment?

I will be getting a printer either the HP Photosmart C4680 or the Canon PIXMA MP490. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

2. Sarngate macrumors regular

$759 sounds okay, depending on the condition. Is it a Unibody or Old style Macbook ?

The 9400m should be fine for Sims.

Alluminium is more prone to denting and serious damage, but the Macbook will scratch more easily if it is the Unibody version.

3. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

It may shave some seconds off here and there, but if that's not important to you(it can add up if you calculate those seconds over a year or more) than the refurb is a good value.

4. Raje thread starter macrumors member

It is a Refurb unibody, so it should be in near excellent condition. I will probably invest in some kind of hardshell to prevent scratches. Thanks for the heads up about that.

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

If you live near a Microcenter, they are selling the old MB for $799. I'd look into that before refurb.

6. Raje thread starter macrumors member

I am actually going to be close to a microcenter in the next few days, however, I can get the printer for free (after rebate) if I order through Apple. And right now I need a printer my old Kodak crapped out on me, so the refurb looks like a better option than microcenter.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Are you a student? If so the back to school sale should start soon, may be worth waiting for. Could get a newer model for near the same price.

Also do you live near a tax free state like oregon or delaware? If so traveling to the microcenter may be a better way, as apple will charge sales tax. Or purchasing the newer MB for 999 may make it worth it over the 759 plus tax to you. Maybe, maybe not.

Or best do both.

Regarding the printer, I got the HP C4680 last year. Works fine, just basic printer/scanner. Good thing is that ink for it at staples is less than 20 bucks for the black and white.

8. Raje thread starter macrumors member

I am only a high school student, so I don't qualify for the discount.

Nope. :(

That would be awesome if I could do both. :D